UpperFilters and LowerFilters deleted by iTunes 64bit in Vista 64-bitcan not write CDs.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jim, Sep 18, 2009.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I installed the latest iTunes 64-bit in my Vista 64-bit machine and
    now Roxio 2009 can no longer write nor recognize CDs. The ironic
    thing is that even *iTunes* opens and says it can not write CDs
    because the Registry settings are wrong, despite the fact that iTunes
    is what trashed them.

    I know I have done something to the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters,
    but I do not know exactly what they are? I do know that I went to KB
    article 314060 and it did *not* help. There are no entries for
    *either* UpperFilters nor LowerFliters in that Registry key. I also
    tried the new Microsoft Fix It tool with no success. Lastly I ran
    PXEngine and it did *not* help.

    Although I did not reinstall iTunes, I did do a Repair installation of
    it, and that did *not* fix the problem. As I can not read from either
    of my two DVD-RW drives, I cannot reinstall Roxio.

    One idea I had was to transfer Roxio to a flash drive and try to
    reinstall it from there? I could also copy it to the hard drive and
    reinstall it from there, but I would have to copy it to a flash drive
    first.

    I am sure there is some way to edit the Registry to enable my DVD-RW
    drives to work again, but I do not know what to to? I know that
    reinstalling Windows wouldn't help, because the error will be reloaded
    when my old Registry is reloaded. I do not want to reformat and start
    over, as I have 130 GB of stuff installed.

    Thank you! :)

    Jim

    Jim, Sep 18, 2009

  2. Jim

    Carlos Guest

    Jim,
    Have you tried system restore to a date previous to iTunes installation?
    If that doesn't help, I would try the following steps.
    1.- Uninstall iTunes and Roxio, if it is still there.
    2.- Remove your DVD-RW drivers from device manager.
    3.- Turn off your PC.
    4.- Disconnect the data cables from your 2 DVD-RW drives.
    5.- Reboot and let Vista be aware that there are no DVD-RW drives present.
    6.- Turn off your PC.
    7.- Reconnect the data cables and boot again.
    8.- Let Vista detect your drives.
    9.- Install Roxio.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Sep 18, 2009

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On my previous computer running Vista 32 bit I had to download a special
    version of Roxio 2009 so tha the program (Roxio) would work properly. I
    have just purchased a Dell with Vista 64 bit and it came with Roxio 2010 DE
    and have downloaded iTunes 64 bit with no problems - my suggestion is to
    review Roxio and up-date.

    Jim

    Jim, Sep 18, 2009
  4. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Carlos,
    That's an option, but then I have other potential stuff I would lose.
    I would rather edit the Registry, *if* possible.
    Right now they are both showing up in Device Manager. I have not
    disconnected the Data Cables, but I have removed them from Device
    Manager and then re-detected them to no avail. Also, as I may not
    have any DVD-RW drives detected, it would be impossible to insall
    software from them. Last time this happened (also from installing
    iTunes), I had to reformat the machine. Microsoft has a fix, but it
    does not work in Vista 64-bit.

    It is not a problem with the drives, or whether Windows recognizes
    them, it is a problem with what iTunes *removed* from the Registry.

    I hope that helps.

    Jim

    Jim, Sep 18, 2009
  5. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Jim,

    Downloading would work, as then I would not have to use the DVD-RW
    drive in the insatllation processs.

    Jim

    Jim, Sep 18, 2009
  6. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Thanks for all your help!

    I've got the "E" drive working, and the "D" drive still can't read or
    write CD. I think it might be a hardware problem. I am going to try
    replacing the "D" drive, and see whether that fixes the problem.

    I was able to reinstall Roxio from the "E" drive, and now both drives
    are showing up as recording devices in Roxio, but "D" still does not
    work. I'm now suspecting a coincidental hardware failure. If nothing
    else, I will get a faster DVD-RW drive. <g>

    Jim

    Jim, Sep 19, 2009
  7. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I've got the "D" drive working too by replacing it with a new DVD-RW
    drive. I guess the drive just went bad at the same time I installed
    iTunes.

    Sorry for any time I may have wasted.

    Jim

    Jim, Sep 27, 2009