UPNP Internet Gateway keeps dropping with Belkin WiFi Router

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by CJSnet, Apr 21, 2006.

  1. CJSnet

    CJSnet Guest

    It gets weirder. I noticed the UPnP Internet Gateway tasktray icon had
    disappeared again, so I opened My Network Places, and Broadband Router was
    still listed (so obviously still recognised as a UPnP device).

    I then opened Network Connections, and the Internet Gateway icon wasn't
    there any more as suspected... for a second... but then it suddenly
    appeared, as did the tasktray icon!

    By opening Network Connections I had tripped the system into reactivating
    the Gateway. Ideas?...
    --
    Thanks,
    CJSnet

    I recommend www.Superhighstreet.com/home Finds anything or they pay for it!

    [remove 'teeth' to e-mail me]

    CJSnet, Apr 23, 2006

  2. CJSnet

    CJSnet Guest

    Thanks, well it helps in that it confirms others have the same issue with
    unreliable appearance of UPnP devices. I too can fix it by opening Network
    Connections, or rebooting my router. What we need now is a permanent fix.

    CJSnet, Apr 23, 2006

  3. CJSnet

    Socrates Guest

    You have something small occurring which needs to be tweaked.

    So start at the beginning - uninstall the stuff, roboot the two computers, and start over. Check that all the necessary services are running on auto.
    Turn OFF windows zero configuration by clearing the check box "allow windows to manage this connection" otherwise you will not get anywhere.

    www.amw1.com/faq

    Socrates, Apr 25, 2006
  4. CJSnet

    Alun Jones Guest

    I know what you mean. UPnP scares the willies out of me - there's no good
    way to say "open the firewall to incoming traffic only to the following
    approved, signed applications", and since there's no support for temporary
    leases of external addresses (or functions to request "next available
    external port"), you have to restart your router every so often to flush its
    UPnP mappings

    Alun.
    ~~~~
    [MVP - Windows Security]