Uploading web site pages

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sunny, Jan 29, 2006.

  1. Sunny

    Sunny Guest

    I am creating my first web site with a wysiwyg editor (pagebreeze).
    After a thousand mistakes I finally have 3 pages on my hard drive e.g.
    c:\web page\name\index.htm
    c:\web page\name\about.html
    c:\web page\name\links.html
    After FTP to host they "should" become e.g. :
    http://au.geocities.com\name\index.htm
    http://au.geocities.com\name\about.html
    http://au.geocities.com\name\links.html

    I have hyperlinked the pages together, but they can't be tested until I
    upload them.
    (pagebreeze "insert hyperlink" has a another setting "local link", which
    seems to cancel out the web URL setting for each page, and they work on my
    hard drive OK in that).

    Have not been able, so far, to get answers to some probably dumb questions :
    1. Would I have to ftp each page separately to the host, so that they
    have the correct URL ?
    2. Prior to uploading, get back into the editor, and rename each
    hyperlink, to cancel out the local links ?
    3. To alter/correct a page, once it is uploaded, is it easier to make the
    repairs in the editor, then replace the entire page ?

    (Started to fiddle with the html bits and really cocked things up) :)

    Sunny, Jan 29, 2006

  2. Sunny

    °Mike° Guest

    If they have local links, yes. You should never create web pages
    with local links: learn to use relative links.
    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/links.html
    http://www.ida.net/users/pbmck/learn/50rela.htm
    In your case it would be simpler to do it in Notepad and replace
    the files on the server.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Jan 29, 2006

  3. Sunny

    Sunny Guest

    Thank you. (although, so far, the only html "editing" I have done is to
    change the "background", the rest has been with the wysiwyg "pagebreeze" )
    By local links , I was referring to linking the pages on my hard drive, to
    test the navigation buttons, as opposed to the difference between Local" and
    "Absolute" links when the pages are uploaded to the host server.
    (btw, each of my pages are in their own folder, with their files)

    Sunny, Jan 29, 2006
  4. Sunny

    Sunny Guest

    Thanks Mitch, comments in line
    each page is in it's own folder together with all the files to make it work.
    (no sub folders within the folder)

    I have been putting copies of the same files in each page folder, some are
    common to all pages, and just in case I change something :)
    The "pagebreeze" editor seems to let me save pages as "templates", not sure
    yet how complicated the template can be though.
    Thanks again for your help, things are beginning to make sense, to my thick
    head.

    Sunny, Jan 29, 2006
  5. Then if you want to change something on one of those "common" files,
    you're going to have to change it in *every copy* of that file; i.e., in
    each copy of that file that you've scattered all across your
    subdirectory structure. You'll hate yourself for that.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 29, 2006
  6. Sunny

    Mitch Guest

    Okat; it sounds like you mean image parts there.
    Those will have to be uploaded also, in the folders that the HTML
    designates (which you should probably keep in the folder they are in
    now, just for simplicity's sake).

    You don't want the HTML to point to an image that is on YOUR computer,
    but to the image on the hosted site. That means they get uploaded, too.

    Mitch, Jan 29, 2006
  7. Sunny

    Mitch Guest

    Blinky's right; if you want to keep copies of the pages as you make
    changes, put them somewhere else and/or rename them by date.

    To keep copies handy for making new pages, use templates and lock them,
    or make them into stationery as my other suggestion and save a new page
    each time (remembering to save a new stationery pad each time you make
    changes to keep globally).

    There is another trick you may not want to get into; but you can file
    for later: CSS (cascading style sheets) help to keep page styles in
    order.

    Mitch, Jan 29, 2006
  8. Sunny

    Sunny Guest

    Thanks for the advice, looks like I should have put the 4 html pages into
    one folder with all the images.
    Thanks again, although I think my eyes are beginning to glaze over :)
    I think it will be a while before I attempt anything fancy.

    Sunny, Jan 29, 2006
  9. Sunny

    Mitch Guest

    I thought it might be better to get into that habit, along with keeping
    only the most recent files in a folder, because if you continue doign
    this, you might start using tools that keep the files that way and help
    upload them.
    Tha twas my first thought about CSS, too. But you'll do a few pages and
    then wonder what easier ways there are to do some things, and it might
    come up.
    The nice part is that there are lots of templates and examples out
    there to show you how to do things. It's also nice that you don't have
    to learn it all at once.

    I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet; if you want to read other
    tips, you can read through alt.www.webmaster for lots of info.
    Personally, I prefer PDFs and a couple Web sites with tutorials.

    Mitch, Jan 29, 2006
  10. Don't forget alt.html which is probably better for questions about
    constructing web pages.

    Tutorial:
    http://htmldog.com/
    Nice CSS templates to study:
    http://www.benmeadowcroft.com/webdev/

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 29, 2006
  11. Sunny

    Sunny Guest

    Thanks once again, back to the drawing board for me :)

    Sunny, Jan 29, 2006
  12. Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  13. Sunny wrote:

    Thanks once again, back to the drawing board for me :)
    Tell me more about that.

    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006