    connected to the PCs so you can e-mail, FTP, or otherwise upload your
    photos, movie clips etc.?
    What about USB access to the internet cafe PCs?

    EuroTravel, Jan 28, 2005

  2. Forget USB access, as the chances are you would need to install
    drivers to get it to work.

    There seem to be more and more machines coming out with multicard
    readers, which are just wonderful in my opinion. Take your memory card
    out, insert it into the computer, and upload. Piece of cake! I have
    found most net cafes have one of those available, but it might be on
    the administrators machine of course.

    I believe SD and Compact flash are the most common. Personally, I use
    SD.

    Deep Foiled Malls, Jan 28, 2005

  3. in message SNIP
    Not if they run e.g. Windows XP. External drives via USB are hot
    swappable (no admin.rights required), so you only need to have a
    decent card reader (just in case) and a USB cable that fits the card
    reader.

    http://www.cybercafe.com/continent.asp?continent=Europe
    will give a list of locations (don't know how up-to-date it is), and
    allows to check the setup before you travel.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Jan 28, 2005
  4. If you are lucky. It depends largely on the device you have.
    That site's crap though. Half the links don't work, and those that do
    are probably out of date. Trust me, don't rely on being able to plug a
    USB cord in anywhere.

    Deep Foiled Malls, Jan 28, 2005
  5. EuroTravel

    EuroTravel Guest

    I'm not taking a laptop, but I plan to take a WIFI capable PDA.
    Is it possible to put the SD card with the camera files into the PDA
    and then upload the data to a web or ftp server?
    I've never seen a FTP client for pocketpcs or a web site editable via a
    pocketpc either and WIFI access is probably much more difficult to find
    than internet cafes.

    EuroTravel, Jan 28, 2005
  6. I was just in England last summer and EVERY hotel I was in had WIFI access
    plus lots of cafes were around with WIFI so you should be ok.
    I also took along a wallet reader. If you are taking your laptop, I donĀ¹t
    see why you are concerned with uploading to the net? Why not just store
    them on the harddrive until you get home.
    I do get about wanting to email pix home, though. I did a little of that
    while I was there...sort of "hey, look where we are today!" I can see that
    you might need that if visuals were important to business you might have.

    Nancy C Kenfield, Jan 28, 2005
  7. You really need one of those digital wallets.

    Nancy C Kenfield, Jan 28, 2005
  8. EuroTravel

    EuroTravel Guest

    I am NOT carrying a laptop. Only a PocketPC PDA with WIFI.

    EuroTravel, Jan 28, 2005
  9. EuroTravel

    Nick Guest

    We will only be e-mailing 5 to 10MB worth of photos at a time, so we
    will still need another way to offload the photos for storage since it
    would take hours to upload the entire SD card full of photos and movie
    clips over the internet anyway.
    How difficult is it to find places in Europe where you can have the
    files offloaded to CD-R discs?
    Will they copy any files from your SD cards (.avi movie files etc.) to
    CD or only jpeg images?

    Nick, Jan 28, 2005
  10. You should be able to do this at a net cafe, if you ask nicely. I have
    no idea how much it will cost though.

    Are you aware that you can buy a 256mb SD card for around $80, or
    cheaper if it's duty free? This way you can store a lot of photos and
    video.

    Deep Foiled Malls, Jan 29, 2005
  11. You should seriously consider getting some kind of portable hard drive
    to store your photos on. I use my iPod, and now come back from each
    two week vacation with about 10GB of material, photos and video clips.
    I used the Belkin Media Reader with it. Before my iPod I used a
    MindStor from [email protected] (but they are not out of business, but the
    principle of dedicated photo-drives may still be around).

    These are not cheap options, but it is incredibly liberating to offload
    all your photos from the day in the hotel/B&B/etc and go crazy again
    the next day. In this mode you can take multiple shots with different
    settings, take video clips at will, and so on. It is really great.

    Back when I took my 3 months all-Europe trip, in the Fall 2002, I
    bought the photo-drive because places like this newsgroup suggested
    there were no photo-CD burning things to depend on - which turned out
    to be exactly the situation that I found. Maybe things have changed
    but I doubt it - places like EasyInternet are set up without CD options
    last I saw.

    Dan Stephenson, Jan 29, 2005
  12. EuroTravel

    Nick Guest

    Nick, Jan 29, 2005
  13. EuroTravel

    digiboy Guest

    I use an Archos with CF reader. At the end of everyday I copy all my
    pics to it. If I capture in jpg I can even view them on there as well.

    digiboy, Jan 29, 2005
  14. EuroTravel

    Arthur Small Guest

    Don't depend on internet cafe. Get a portable device to download your
    images. Depending on the features you want and the price you are willing to
    pay there are a number of such devices on the market. From the simple but
    dependable Image Tank, to CD or DVD writers, to storage devices with viewing
    screens.

    Arthur Small, Jan 29, 2005
  15. Sounds like a perfect excuse to buy an Epson P2000

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/epsonp2000/

    G;

    The Rev Gaston, Jan 29, 2005
  16. I agree. I have a thing called Wolverine, a battery-powered 30-G drive
    with slots for the various types of camera memory in the sides.

    You stick your camera card into the slot, turn on the power, and press
    a button labeled "copy." It makes a new folder nd copies the files
    into it. Each time you do this it makes a new folder, so nothing gets
    overwritten. It connects to the USB port on your computer to unload.

    I am sure there are many devices. I am not touting the Wolverine per
    se, but it works fine for me.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

    MOM CASTS TOT IN CEMENT

    Most experts voice cautious optimism

    Rodney Myrvaagnes, Jan 29, 2005
  17. EuroTravel

    poldy Guest

    Yeah that's what I'm thinking of getting.

    But PDAs seem to be on the way out.

    Looks like smart phones like the Treo or the PPC/phone combos are being
    marketed more.

    Wifi would be cheaper than using a mobile network to transfer pics or
    email them unless the cybercafes are charging ridiculous prices for Wifi
    access.

    poldy, Jan 31, 2005
  18. EuroTravel

    poldy Guest

    Don't they have kiosks over there for burning CDs or printing photos?

    Obviously, you don't expect Walmarts with kiosks. But there's got to be
    photo services there?

    poldy, Jan 31, 2005
  19. EuroTravel

    poldy Guest

    For $80, you can get 1 GB SD cards now. Of course, you lose one of
    those, not only is it a costly thing, you lose a lot more photos.

    poldy, Jan 31, 2005
  20. EuroTravel

    poldy Guest

    I don't know, we stuck a card reader into an HP PC and it needed drivers
    so you had to install the software from the CD it came with.

    It mounted instantly on the PowerBook, however.
    You would think cybercafes are getting hip to all the tourists with
    digital cameras and offer CD archival as well as card readers.

    After all, digital photography is changing the world. ;)

    poldy, Jan 31, 2005