  1. Are usb jump drives a good reliable temporary storage device and if so what
    brand do you recommend.
    Mark_

    mark_digital©, Jan 14, 2006

  2. mark_digital©

    Bob Williams Guest

    I imagine that they are all pretty much the same
    I have a Sony 1GB, a Lexar 256MB and a PNY 128MB.
    All work flawlessly in my computers.
    My Lexar failed at a Costco Kiosk but worked at a WalMart Kiosk..
    My Sony worked at the Costco Kiosk where the Lexar failed.
    Must be a site specific problem, I suspect poor contact at the
    Lexar/Costco Kiosk USB port.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jan 14, 2006

  3. mark_digital©

    Mark² Guest

    Very reliable.
    I like the Micro Mini from Iomega...mainly because it is FAR smaller than
    any other I've seen, and carries in the pocket without much of a bump:
    http://tinyurl.com/8j2sq
    However, I've now taken to carrying the even-smaller, flat, amazing little
    SD "Plus" card from SanDisk.
    Here:
    http://sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(1096)-SanDisk_Ultra_II_SD_Plus_Cards.aspx
    This little beauty is a full-speed, standard-size Secure Digital card (a
    fast Ultra II version, BTW), but it **folds in the middle** to reveal a
    built-in usb 2.0 connection, complete with ultra tiny blue led light to
    indicate when it's properly connected(!). Due to it's flatness and tiny
    size, it fits into my wallet without me even noticing that it's there. I
    like this, since I'm much more likely to misplace my keys than I am my
    wallet.

    About security:
    One thing few people consider is the relative lack of security these USB
    drives have.
    If you lose your keys...with your drive on the key-ring...then anyone who
    finds your keys also finds your precious files. I don't know about you, but
    if the file is important enough to keep with me, or move around...it's
    probably something I don't want in a finders-keepers-person's hands...
    ....For this reason, you might want to look at Lexar's recent drive version
    that comes with built-in password protection--an aspect long over-due in USB
    drives.
    Here:
    http://lexar.com/jumpdrive/jd_secureII.html

    Heck...Lexar even has one with a (believe it or not) built-in finger-print
    reader!!
    Here: http://lexar.com/jumpdrive/jd_touchguard.html

    Amazing. :)

    -Mark

    Mark², Jan 14, 2006
  4. mark_digital©

    Paul Rubin Guest

    PQI also has an extremely small, flat one:

    http://www.pqi1st.com/products/istick.asp
    How do you like it? Reviews have been mixed, and I've heard the USB
    transfer speed is rather slow.
    Be careful, the security of those things are not very good:

    http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2004/10/the_doghouse_le.html

    Better use separate file encryption, e.g. www.gnupg.org.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 14, 2006
  5. mark_digital©

    MrB Guest

    I have a Lexar 1 Gig that I have carried in my pocket for a year. It has
    always worked for me.

    MrB, Jan 14, 2006
  6. mark_digital©

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Don't keep your USB drive on your keychain.

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Jan 15, 2006
  7. mark_digital©

    Mark² Guest

    That's my point.
    People do, and are likely to lose data when they lose those keys...

    That's why I like the SD Plus card...which stays in my wallet.
    I haven't lost a wallet in over 20 years. Even if you don't *lose* your
    keys, they are more likely to be set down at work, etc. Your wallet (as a
    guy, anyway) stays in your pocket.

    Mark², Jan 15, 2006
  8. mark_digital©

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Any brand. These are quite reliable for temporary storage.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 15, 2006