Upload Binary File As Text?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PSC, Mar 3, 2005.

  1. PSC

    PSC Guest

    Hi everyone

    Could someone please help me understand this question. For college I have
    to upload a Binary file (as text).

    I have tried myself to sort this out but I am unsure if I have done what is
    being asked.

    I have changed the setting in the FTP program to transfer files using
    Binary, which I have managed to do but when I open the file using the FTP
    program all

    I see is scrambled messages. When I view the Binary file on my Homepage
    it's ok, the picture is normal.

    I hope I have explained this ok, any reply would be grateful

    Regards

    Paul C

    PSC, Mar 3, 2005

  2. PSC

    cluedweasel Guest

    You could uuencode the file and upload it. Uuencoding would convert
    the file to 7 bit ASCII. Either Google it or have a look at
    http://www.winzip.com/uuencode.htm for more info.

    cluedweasel, Mar 3, 2005

  3. PSC

    Pennywise Guest

    |> Hi everyone
    |>
    |> Could someone please help me understand this question. For college I have
    |> to upload a Binary file (as text).

    Go for the extra credit and encrypt it in PGP, it has an option to turn
    a binary into text.

    You do know binary to text and back is how files are transferred in
    alt.binaries right?
    http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/

    Pennywise, Mar 3, 2005
  4. PSC

    PSC Guest

    You do know binary to text and back is how files are transferred in
    I am sorry but I must be honest, I am totally new to binary files. I can
    download jpegs,text files, mp3 and all that stuff but the question 'to
    download a binary file as text has baffled me a bit. I hope I am not looking
    into too much.

    Cheers

    Paul C

    PSC, Mar 3, 2005
  5. PSC

    Pennywise Guest

    |> > You do know binary to text and back is how files are transferred in
    |> > alt.binaries right?
    |> I am sorry but I must be honest, I am totally new to binary files. I can
    |> download jpegs,text files, mp3 and all that stuff but the question 'to
    |> download a binary file as text has baffled me a bit. I hope I am not looking
    |> into too much.

    On the internet you download binaries, but in the newsgroups you use the
    NNTP protocol which will only allow text to be sent.
    http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc977.txt

    So to post any binary to a newsgroup it must first be converted into
    text. Your newsreader will do this automatically (send and receive text
    and. convert it accordingly)

    As mention by cluedweasel you can do this with other programs or by hand
    in the command line http://www.ss64.com/bash/uuencode.html

    I just posted the file NTUUCODE.EXE mentioned if you need it, (it comes
    with the NT resource kit) to alt.binaries.comp

    It made it

    Newsgroups: alt.binaries.comp
    Subject: NTUUCODE - NTUUCODE.EXE (0/1)

    Pennywise, Mar 4, 2005
  6. PSC

    Richard Guest

    No problem.
    e-mail yourself the image.
    Since you're using OE, press ctrl+F3 and copy the code.
    Post the code as text.

    Richard, Mar 4, 2005
  7. PSC

    Richard Guest

    BTW, what you see as garbled text, is the actual raw coding of the image.
    This is how signals are sent from machine to machine.

    Here's an example:
    ))=J*:tpsp*++**+*+**)(*Xs˜ž–R|SJtzoqJv“Œœ‹œ£VJ œ
    “™˜J…[X_[X[\X^^‡*)*m*0./0/.00/011024:44334>896:A>BBA>@@[email protected]@JVJMPQSTSC
    IWZWRZORSR)*m+111424=}44=}

    These first few lines from a still image are basically instructing the next
    machine how to deciper the code.

    Also, your instructor may have thrown you a little loop just to see if you
    learned anything or not.
    In newsgroups, a binary is anything that is not "ASCII" pure text.
    Even though html is pure text, it is still considered to be binary because
    their is action taken on that text.

    Richard, Mar 4, 2005
  8. PSC

    G. Morgan Guest

    Subject: Re: Upload Binary File As Text?
    Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    Maybe on your server. 80+++ % of the servers dropped the binary.

    You know better than to do that anyway. You should have told the OP not to post
    binary to text groups; then informed him of Yenc.

    G. Morgan, Mar 4, 2005
  9. PSC

    Pennywise Guest

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 20:10:15 -0600, G. Morgan

    |> >I just posted the file NTUUCODE.EXE mentioned if you need it, (it comes
    |> >with the NT resource kit) to alt.binaries.comp
    |> >

    |> You know better than to do that anyway. You should have told the OP not to post
    |> binary to text groups

    HUH? I get most of my binaries from the newsgroups.

    |> then informed him of Yenc.

    One step at a time.

    Pennywise, Mar 4, 2005
  10. PSC

    G. Morgan Guest

    Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    I thought you wrote you posted a bin to this group. I did not see it if you did
    as my server drops bins to this one. If you were referring to a binary group
    then it's my misunderstanding.

    okie dokie.

    G. Morgan, Mar 4, 2005
  11. PSC

    G. Morgan Guest

    Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    DOH!!!

    I just re-read what you wrote "I just posted the file NTUUCODE.EXE ...... to
    alt.binaries.comp"

    I missed the 'alt.binaries.comp' , my bad!!!!

    G. Morgan, Mar 4, 2005