  1. Is there any gain in upgrading to Windows 8 if you don't gave a
    touch screen?

    Patrick

    Patrick FitzGerald, Nov 4, 2012

  2. Yes if you are a sheep, give MS the fingers..

    All the TOP IT men have stated that its CRAP

    Frank Williams, Nov 4, 2012

  3. Patrick FitzGerald

    Enkidu Guest

    Maybe. It's too soon to tell.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 5, 2012
  4. Frank Williams, Nov 5, 2012
  5. Patrick FitzGerald

    Gordon Guest

    At the risk of repeating myself, installing the Classic Shell (free,
    donations accepted) does wonders for the desktop version. The
    interface once known as Metro gets out of the way and stays out of
    the way. The apps become a menu item.One can pick from a range of styles
    past. Having apps avaliable is going to be a good thing in my view.

    What is left is an improved windows 7, as in more developed rather
    revolutionary. Some people have said a service pack upgrade, which is fair
    comment.

    Windows explorer gets more buttons to give more control.

    Staorage spaces allows one to add another HD and carry on as if more space
    has arrived, no sweat. (Not tried this myself)

    USB 3 support natively.

    The other main point as I see it, is the AS (Application Store). AS are the
    new way. New programmes will come from the Ms AS. People will write
    programmes and put them on the AS. The AS is the place to go. in short the
    AS will be *it*. Some will require $, some not.

    As EMB says, it is cheap, for now. So if you are going to do it, do it
    before 31 JAN. 2013 when the low price ends, or does it.

    By MS standards $50 is very inexpensive.

    Touch screens do not work on desktop PCs. Tablets and smart phones are
    different. MS really failed to understand this. Put the clasic shell on and
    all this talk about tiles and touch screens for Wiondows 8 will seen so
    hyped up.

    <Quote>

    What is Classic Shell?

    Classic Shell is a collection of features that were available in older
    versions of Windows but were later removed. It has a customizable Start menu
    and Start button for Windows 7 and Windows 8, it adds a toolbar for Windows
    Explorer and supports a variety of smaller features. Look here for the full
    list.
    <Unquote>

    http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

    It will change the way you think about and view Windows 8 on the desktop.

    Gordon, Nov 6, 2012
  6. Patrick FitzGerald

    Dave Taylor Guest

    I read that the recovery enhancements sound awesome. Roaming profile on a
    USB stick for the corporates!
    There are also some major security improvements to things like buffer
    overflow protection to the kernel and more. Oh, the USB drive = pool of
    storage sounds nifty. I read an article on using Win 8 to replace a home
    server, sounded like it was better than freenas.

    Dave Taylor, Nov 6, 2012
  7. Patrick FitzGerald

    Enkidu Guest

    Roaming profiles have been an evil way back to Win2000 (and possibly
    before). At least they don't get corrupted on a weekly basis like they
    did way back. Still, even fixing a small %age of 7000 users probably
    means that someone is spending at lot of time just fixing profiles.

    Linux uses home directories in a more robust way using mainly text files
    rather than Windows fragile user.dat database file. (Note: read this as
    comparison of methodologies rather than advocacy - I'm not suggesting
    that corporation should rush out and install Linux everywhere).

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 7, 2012
  8. Patrick FitzGerald

    Enkidu Guest

    I don't think that that was what was meant. I think that this was
    referring to the sort of situation where you have play and play RAID
    arrays and you run out of space. Just add more disk and dynamically add
    it. (Much like the Linux LVM).

    Using a USB drive to expand storage (if it is even possible) means that
    you are now reliant on the USB drive being permanently connected. I
    can't see corporate IT departments adopting that.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 7, 2012
  9. ... which problem is "fixed" by the corporates where USB devices are
    disabled. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 12, 2012
  10. Roaming profiles have been an evil way back to Win2000 (and possibly
    before). At least they don't get corrupted on a weekly basis like they
    did way back. Still, even fixing a small %age of 7000 users probably
    means that someone is spending at lot of time just fixing profiles.

    Linux uses home directories in a more robust way using mainly text files
    rather than Windows fragile user.dat database file. (Note: read this as
    comparison of methodologies rather than advocacy - I'm not suggesting
    that corporation should rush out and install Linux everywhere).[/QUOTE]

    I too like the useful config text files. I even liked the windows .ini files
    ... though finding where the appropriate one was could be hours of fun. :)

    Why hide information with fancy encoding ?? Still haven't seen a good answer
    to that question.

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 12, 2012