    you can use a small screwdriver to remove it. Has anyone done this?
    Any advice?

    Thanks!!

    p_teatreeoil, Jan 6, 2008

  2. Yes. Although there are special tools to lift socketed PLCC chips.

    http://inoviq.com/products/tools/chip-puller/

    It doesn't end up being much more than two really tiny steel levers
    on either corner, and PLCC chips are really pretty sturdy to pull out,
    not like some of those really tight mechnical 40-pin DIPs that could
    have bent pins off.

    Just get a really really tiny flat screw driver (ie. 1mm-1.5mm or so in width)
    and pry up on a corner. You'd be amazed at how easy it is. Only thing
    to be careful about is to not push down too hard on the plastic (you
    are prying, not levering) and break the socket.

    Make sure to match up the polarity the same way going back in and push
    and snap the new ROM in.

    Doug McIntyre, Jan 6, 2008