Upgrading mother board on XP Home Edition

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Carlos, Apr 20, 2004.

  1. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    I have a Gateway PIII733 with a 10GB Hard Drive and 128MB RAM with Windows
    XP Home on it.

    I purchased a new P4, Asus Mother Board, DDR Ram, ATI Video Card and a new
    ATX Case.

    I also purchased a new 40GB Hard Drive.

    First thing I did was ghost the 10GB to the 40GB as a back up cause I didn't
    want to lose any information and I thought all I would have to do is slap it
    together and probably up date some of the drivers for the new items I
    purchased.

    I was hoping that I could run my new system with my old hard drive but it
    just doesn't boot. It gets to a certain point and restarts. So I formatted
    the 40GB and did a fresh reinstall and everything worked fine so I know the
    new hardware works ok.

    I really want to find a way to just get the old OS working on the new
    system.
    I also tried the 10GB and same thing.
    I also tried to delete all the drivers in the Device Manager (while still in
    the old system) but half of them won't delete and it still didn't work.

    I've never had a problem doing this with Windows 98... any help would be
    appreciated.

    Thanks
    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 20, 2004

  2. Carlos

    ICee Guest

    Windows XP does not allow a change of motherboard like Win98 did. It
    handles hardware changes, especially a motherboard, differently.
    Connect the old drive as a slave on the new system and you'll be able to
    copy data off it.

    ICee, Apr 20, 2004

  3. Carlos

    TT Guest

    So you don't have this problem again, you might want to consider
    data partitions...If you're using XP Pro, you can set up extra
    partitions using it, if you're using home, you could leave the second
    10gb hard drive with the ghosted partition as a data partition...or
    not...you now have several options...but between the new mobo, bios and
    OS-something will force you to reinstall a new XP partition for a
    bootup...even if you could figure out a way around all of that-it's so
    much safer and easier to let your new equipment run the show in XP, not
    bend the will of the old installation to match your new setup...:)

    TT, Apr 20, 2004
  4. Carlos

    ICee Guest

    I don't have a problem, the OP does.

    ICee, Apr 20, 2004
  5. Carlos

    Unk Guest

    If the CD that came with the motherboard is bootable, boot to it to install
    the new drivers for the motherboard.
    If not, see if the old drive will startup in the safe mode, then install the
    new drivers from the CD that came with the motherboard.

    Sometimes, the changes are so great, a fresh install is necessary.
    In that case, install the old drive as a slave so you can copy your
    files from it.

    Unk, Apr 20, 2004