    I am getting ready to upgrade from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Home. Is
    it better to do a clean install or would I be okay to upgrade it in-place?

    Sharon

    sharonf, Dec 29, 2005

  2. sharonf

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In sharonf spewed forth:
    Some users say upgrade, some say clean install.

    I say go with the clean install. You get rid of any errors existing in your
    system registry, you format the drive so no spyware, adware, junk like that
    can remain. And I strongly suggest format the drive as NTFS - it's a much
    better option than FAT32, for reliability and security.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 29, 2005

  3. sharonf

    Nutty Guest

    Hi also say go with the clean instal it would also depend on what size the
    computer is.

    --

    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

    Important disclaimer: AJS Computer Services (Tauranga) maintains an
    up-to-date virus detection system. However the sender does not
    represent/warrant that this transmission is free from content error,
    computer viruses or other defects. If you choose to open an attached file,
    you accept the risk of any consequent loss or damage.

    Important notice: This transmission contains confidential information.
    Copyright in the content is claimed by AJS Computer Services and/or
    attributed third party. The views of the sender are not those of AJS
    Computer Services unless the sender specifically states them to be.

    Nutty, Dec 29, 2005
  4. sharonf

    elaich Guest

    Why? Do you like spying, online activation, and DRM?

    elaich, Dec 29, 2005
  5. sharonf

    Ron Martell Guest

    Go with the upgrade, unless you are absolutely certain that you have
    all of the installation disks and license numbers or product keys
    necessary for all of the application programs that you want to
    install; and are also comfortable with spending hours and hours and
    hours reinstalling all of these apps, updating them as necessary, and
    reconfiguring them.

    In my experience there is zero difference in performance or stability
    between an upgrade and a clean install of Windows XP with the same set
    of application programs installed.

    And if you do decide to go with the clean install then make absolutely
    certain that you have at least 2 complete backups of your user data
    files before you wipe out the hard drive. I have seen more than one
    instance where a user attempted to restore files from a backup only to
    discover that the CD or DVD that they used for the backups was
    defective or damaged in some way and they couldn't recover anything.

    The Files And Settings Transfer Wizard that comes with Windows XP can
    simplify the task of accumulating the files and consolidating them.
    See Files and Settings Transfer Wizard by MVP Gary Woodruff:
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    Ron Martell, Dec 29, 2005
  6. sharonf

    sharonf Guest

    Thanks for the advice. Right now I am leaning towards the upgrade. My
    computer is about 4 years old (700 megahertz AMD Athlon, 512MB Ram,
    30.58 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity,23.61 Gigabytes Hard Drive
    Free Space). I have been happy with Windows 98SE and am upgrading only
    because some of the newer software that I am interested in doesn't
    support 98. I would do the clean install if that was the best way, but I
    really would like to try to avoid having to reinstall everything. Before
    installing I am trying to locate XP drivers for some of my existing
    hardware.

    Sharon

    sharonf, Dec 29, 2005
  7. sharonf

    Ron Martell Guest

    Just make sure you have everything important in your data files backed
    up at least twice. One of the corollaries to Murphy's Law says that
    the only times you really need a second backup copy is when you don't
    have one.

    And if by chance the upgrade install does not go well (and there is
    the occasional instance where this does happen, just not nearly so
    often as the "clean install only" advocates would have you believe)
    then you still have the option of doing a clean install.

    That is an excellent idea about checking for XP drivers for your
    hardware. If you have problems finding them for any specific items
    post the make and model back here. Someone may have a solution or a
    work-around for you.

    Ron Martell, Dec 29, 2005