    version of windows which comes with a new pc? (Got Vista Home Premium, dutch
    version)

    What's the cheapest way to get a legal 64bit verion of Windows Vista?

    Bart, Jan 5, 2008

  2. The problem is that the free 64-bit dvd is for purchasers of the retail
    editions, not those whose Vista came preinstalled on a new machine (OEM).
    When you buy Vista preinstalled you are only entitled to the version that
    came installed on the computer unless your vendor agrees to provide both
    versions (unlikely). If you want to migrate to x64 you will need to go the
    retail route.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 5, 2008

  3. Colin has given you the bad news about OEM versions, I fear. But in addition
    to that, I just want to be clear that there is no "upgrade" path - it needs
    to be a fresh, clean, install. The 64-bit version of Windows Vista doesn't
    support upgrades from 32-bit Windows, for fairly obvious reasons given the
    change in architecture.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 5, 2008
  4. Bart

    PvdG42 Guest

    In addition to what Colin and Charlie have told you, there are probably very
    good reasons why the "company" tech people talked you into keeping the 32
    bit version. They are probably aware that their hardware does not support 64
    bit Vista (lack of drivers, etc.) and don't want to deal with the issues.
    If you plan to acquire a 64 bit version at your own expense, be sure to
    check before hand for all needed 64 bit Vista drivers.

    PvdG42, Jan 5, 2008