Upgrading ancient Cat5000

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Mark Lar, Apr 4, 2004.

  1. Mark Lar

    Mark Lar Guest

    Am trying to upgrade an ancient Cat5000 (Sup II) from 2.4(4) to 4.5.
    Cisco website says to go via 3.2(4), but it seems to be giving me
    grief:

    Router> sh flash
    File Version Size (bytes)
    -------------- ----------------- -------------
    c5000 nmp 2.4(4) 1206201
    smcp 2.4 39340
    lcp 2.4 27656
    atm/fddi 2.4 24523
    lcp 64k 2.4 56017
    lcp 360 2.4(4) 117152
    lcp c5ip 2.4 24376

    Router> (enable) download 10.1.1.4 cat5000-sup.3-2-4.bin
    Download image cat5000-sup.3-2-4.bin from 10.1.1.4 to Module 1 FLASH
    (y/n) [n]? y
    -
    Finished network single module download. (2040744 bytes)
    Upgrade detected .. erasing flash .. please wait for 2 minutes
    FLASH on Catalyst:

    Type Address Location
    AMD 29F016 20000000 NMP (P3) 8MB
    SIM

    Erasing flash sector...amddone: ERROR in-loop status=0x24242424
    val=0x80808080
    ERROR: device 0 sector erase failed
    FATAL: erase failed on block 0
    Erasing flash sector...done.
    Programming flash sector...done.
    Erasing flash sector...done.
    Programming flash sector...done.
    Erasing flash sector...done.
    Programming flash sector...done.
    The system needs to be reset to run the new image.
    doc-s1> (enable) sh flash
    File Version Size (bytes)
    -------------- ----------------- -------------
    c5000 nmp 0.0(4) 1588969
    smcp 2.4 39340
    lcp 2.4 27656
    lcp c5ip 2.4 24376
    Router>

    I haven't actually tried running the image because of the error, I
    immediately reflashed 2.4(4) and reset it, all came up OK. phew!

    Is my flash stuffed? should I try loading the new image, if so and it
    doesn't work, can I still reload the 2.4(4) image from the rom
    monitor?

    M.

    Mark Lar, Apr 4, 2004