    So, which Windows XP Pro do I want to get? Full Version? Upgrade Version?
    Which Service Pack?

    Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

    NM-Wolf, Mar 2, 2009

  2. NM-Wolf

    David B. Guest

    1. You cannot upgrade from any Windows 32 bit OS to any 64 bit OS, you must
    perform a clean installation.
    2. You get the newer version error due to the service pack level of your
    installation vs. the service pack level of your installation media, you can
    use a process called slipstreaming to update your installation media.
    3. There is, AFAIK, no upgrade version of XP 64 bit, it was only available
    in OEM.
    4. Driver and hardware support for XP x64 is pretty limited, research all of
    your hardware to see if drivers are available before considering the
    transition.
    5. Best solution, wait until Windows 7 x64 is released (late 09, early 10 I
    believe) and upgrade to that.

    David B., Mar 2, 2009

  3. NM-Wolf

    Me Guest

    == Quote from David B. ()'s article
    Or install the x64 version of Windows Vista if you can't wait that long.

    Me, Mar 4, 2009
  4. NM-Wolf

    me Guest

    == Quote from NM-Wolf ()'s article
    Full version, never the upgrade, and all the latest updates.

    me, Mar 4, 2009
  5. NM-Wolf

    John Barnes Guest

    Since you own XP, you would be eligible for the Upgrade version, which you
    can use for a clean install. Your choice of 32-bit or 64-bit depends on
    your system and uses. XP64 does not have the driver availability of
    Vista64, so make sure any hardware and software has drivers available for
    XP64. Most software without drivers runs well on XP64, but not all, so make
    sure any critical software you need will run on it.
    Windows 7 is a good choice if you can wait for release. Vista64 is much
    better since SP1 was released and should be better with SP2.

    John Barnes, Mar 4, 2009
  6. NM-Wolf

    Dennis Aston Guest

    I will second John on the Vista comments. Vista 32 Home Premium has worked
    very well for me and I love the media center enhancements. Prior to SP1 it
    really wasn't fast, I had file transfer timeouts (it took all of 45 minutes
    to transfer 200MB of files over a 100mb connection. Honest). It also
    didn't have the RSAT (Remote System Administration Tools) tools that I use
    here at work to admin the network here at the office. I would have
    recommended it to ANYBODY let alone my parents or friends. The reverse is
    now true. Yes, it does chew up more resources than it probably should but
    as long as you have the resources to throw at it I would recommend it.
    Windows Search seems to be the biggest hog and you can disable that if you
    like.

    And yes, I game on it:

    3gb ram
    ATI Radeon X1950XT
    7200rpm sata 150 disk

    I mention the specs because if you look, this is all hardware from 2 years
    ago. It still works great for CoD 4. My only recommendation is that you
    make sure you have at LEAST 2gb of memory, 4 preferred. It would take a
    while to page out the memory and load the OS memory back into the ram after
    playing a game when I had 2gb, talking about 20 seconds of semi-responsive.
    Upgraded to 3gb and it easily handles it now with about 2 seconds after the
    game exits until fully responsive.

    Dennis Aston, Mar 13, 2009