    control panel) Internet Explorer.

    Reinstalling over the original install.

    ?????????

    Fred A Stover, Aug 28, 2007

  2. Have you tried running a good antivirus, such as Kaspersky? What about
    running a good antispyware program, such as Spybot Search and Destroy?
    Have you tried another browser such as Firefox?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 28, 2007

  3. I'm running McAfee and it reports no virus, The ISP's Norton reports no
    virus.

    No I haven't tried a different browser. I will, if I can get to it <g>..

    Thank you,

    Fred A Stover, Aug 28, 2007
  4. I suspect that this will end up with you running HijackThis. Don't go
    willy-nilly with it, post the log to one of the online forums and wait
    to get help. And when I said "good" antivirus, I was specifically not
    thinking about the two you mentioned.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 28, 2007
  5. That might have been your first mistake.

    Back up all your data to external media, and do a complete overwrite and
    install from scratch.

    Be sure you install a firewall before you ever, ever connect it to the
    Internet, else you have under 12 minutes before it is toast.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 28, 2007
  6. Okay, thanks for the tip. I thought I had a good one, but it's nice to know
    there are better.

    However, I was able to change the browser to a later version and solve the
    problem.

    Thank you.

    Fred A Stover, Aug 28, 2007
  7. I thought that too.
    It wouldn't let me do that.

    It doesn't get connected to anything before the firewall goes up.

    Thank you.

    Fred A Stover, Aug 28, 2007
  8. Fred A Stover

    sittingduck Guest

    You have to boot from the CD.
    Depending on your bios, you may have to hit a key during POST for the boot
    menu, you may have to change the boot order in the bios, or it may boot from
    cd by default. (Look for "press any key to boot from cd")

    During the setup options, format your drive NTFS, if the drive is big enough,
    delete the whole thing and make a 20GB partition for windows, and save the
    rest for data/backup/storage.

    sittingduck, Aug 28, 2007
  9. Fred A Stover

    Plato Guest

    In the future, NEVER upgrade a previous version of Windows over an
    existing version. All, in every case, new versions of Windows are best
    installed totally fresh, NOT as an upgrade, especially from windows ME.

    Plato, Aug 28, 2007
  10. You're RIGHT!!!!

    Fred A Stover, Aug 29, 2007
  11. Okay. It's resolved, but I'll remember that for the future. I didn't boot
    from the CD, but manually went to it after booting.

    Thanks,

    Fred A Stover, Aug 29, 2007