Upgrade Vista to Win 7 ?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by - Bobb -, Dec 9, 2011.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    I bought Windows7 in pre-release and never installed it ( waiting until the
    first bugs would we ironed out). I then got a Lenovo pc from someone going
    thru a divorce - Vista was blown up and I ordered DVDs, did the reinstall
    and now it's time to do upgrade it.
    If anyone has upgraded a Vista PC to Win 7 could you tell me .... basic
    things about the upgrade process, like:

    How much new disk space will it consume ? roughly
    How long to do it ?
    Will I have to reinstall apps ?
    Start it and walk away ? or need to stay nearby for 'a while' to answer
    questions.
    I have nothing of mine on there so during the process will it ask " wipe old
    stuff" or "save old stuff". If so, I assume it would be more efficient to
    start fresh. Anyway to have that happen ?

    then licensing issues. I made a ghost copy of drive - they both boot in the
    box, so during upgrade, I thought disconnect the other drive - and worst
    case I could reboot that.
    If all goes well with Win7, would that second Vista drive still work in the
    PC ?
    I'm not a Vista user ( only ever used it to make sure the Lenovo box
    worked.), but just wondering if I could leave it in there and if ever a
    problem with Win7 I could change boot order. Or once that Vista license is
    upgraded would the original install die if it ever talked to msft server
    again ?

    Thanks

    - Bobb -, Dec 9, 2011

  2. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Update: I installed Win7 Pro upgrade to blank partition and dual boot works
    fine.
    (It told me it needed 16gb and I only had 9gb free on C partition , so i
    used another)
    Installed from DVD in about 45 minutes, then spent about 3 hours installing
    updates, reboot, update more, reboot, then SP1 , reboot.

    - Bobb -, Dec 10, 2011