    it just overlay what I am running now and save settings (i.e. bookmarks,
    newsgroup subscriptions, etc) or will I need to reset everything up.

    Thanks.

    Coorslte, Oct 16, 2003

  2. Coorslte

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Your settings will be preserved (see
    http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/faq/profile.html). However, be aware
    when installing a new version. The new installers are supposed to
    remove the previous version - if you respond to the prompt in that way.

    Notes
    1. You might want to save the plugins folder in the Program
    Files/mozilla.org/mozilla directory just in case the installer doesn't
    pick up all your installed plugins. You can then just copy them into
    the new installation plugins folder.

    2. While your profile (personal info, mail, newsgroups, etc.) is stored
    in a different directory that is not touched by the installation you may
    still want to backup up your profile first. Hey, it's a computer, stuff
    happens! I backup my profile(s) on a regular schedule, once a week
    automatically, and manually before any significant system changes or
    version installations.

    3. If you run multiple versions or combinations of Mozilla, Netscape,
    Thunderbird, and/or Firebird, do NOT share profiles among them.
    Create/use a new profile for each one. You can always copy mail,
    newsgroups, addressbooks, etc. from one to another to bring new ones up
    to date with your historical usage.

    There are many reliability and feature enhancements since 1.2.1 so go
    for it!

    --
    Ed Mullen - Mozilla Champion
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Oct 16, 2003

  3. Coorslte

    Guido Jurock Guest

    Another possibility would be to uninstall 1.2.1 first and then install
    1.5

    He could also use the zip-file-version. He would not have to
    (un-)install anything IIRC.
    ACK!

    guido

    Guido Jurock, Oct 17, 2003