    CrackHeadBob Guest

    I have WinXP home edition and want to upgrade to XP Professional. Would
    it be better to do the upgrade or a clean install?

    CrackHeadBob, Dec 23, 2003

  2. CrackHeadBob

    EricP Guest

    You should be ok with either.

    EricP, Dec 23, 2003

  3. CrackHeadBob

    Senti Guest

    CrackHeadBob did mumble with his mouth full...
    As a general rule of thumb, a clean install is better than an upgrade.
    However, if you have a lot of data/programs/settings/etc that you want to
    keep after the install, an upgrade may be the way to go.

    Senti, Dec 23, 2003
  4. CrackHeadBob

    Rusty Knutts Guest

    Upgrading should be a "Snap"

    I've upgraded from XP Home to Professional on several machines with no
    problems UNLESS . . . . the machine had first been upgraded from WIN
    98 or ME. The difference it seems, is because when 98 or ME are
    upgraded, the drive is not reformatted to NTFS.

    I've also upgraded several machines from 2000 to XP Pro with no
    problems.

    Cheers,

    Rusty

    Rusty Knutts, Dec 23, 2003
  5. CrackHeadBob

    Ron Martell Guest

    In at least 99 and 44/100% of the tests that I have done there is zero
    difference in performance or stability between an upgrade install and
    a clean install with Windows XP.
    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Dec 23, 2003
  6. CrackHeadBob

    Ron Martell Guest

    The is probably the simplest operating system upgrade in Microsoft's
    history, and if you have a genuine need or desire for any of the
    additional functions or features that are found only in XP Pro and are
    not in XP Home then you should have no concerns about doing so.

    Both XP Home and XP Pro are produced from the same source code base
    and there is zero difference in performance or stability between the
    two versions.

    You should, however, do some planning and prepartion before doing the
    upgrade including of course a verified backup of any and all important
    data files.

    Former MVP Gary Woodruff has written an excellent article on the
    subject of upgrading to Windows XP and while most of it is more
    relevant to those who are upgrading from earlier versions of Windows
    you should read it before doing the actual upgrade. You will find it
    at http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    Good luck

    Ron Martell, Dec 23, 2003
  7. CrackHeadBob

    M Mullen Guest

    |> I have WinXP home edition and want to upgrade to XP Professional. Would
    |> it be better to do the upgrade or a clean install?

    There are only 6 files that XpPro has that XP doesn't and they are all network
    related. This is the ONE time I'd say an Upgrade would be ok. Only if you
    haven't installed a service pak or an upgrade.

    M Mullen, Dec 24, 2003