    the 64 bit upgrade version, so surly I woudl have to re install windows xp?
    then install teh 64 bit upgrade version. As surly you cant just use teh 64
    bit upgrade to install from scratch. thanks

    Guest, Feb 2, 2007

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    You can always switch from 32-bit to 64-bit, but in order to do this you will
    have to do a freash installed (better bring out your XP CD and follow the
    steps below).

    First and foremost, you cannot simply put in the 64-bit version of the CD
    with windows running and expect to be able to upgrade it just like that
    because you will get a message that will state that the version you put in
    doesn't match the the bit version of what you're using. Good thing about
    todays computers is that you could boot to CDs (refer to your computer's
    manual or motherboard's manual for information on how to boot to CDs, this
    could normally be done by editing your bios and changeing the boot order
    options or you could press (for me) F8 during POST to select where you'd like
    to boot from. Once again, refer to your user manual).

    Ok, now for the steps.

    1) Put in the Windows Vista 64-bit CD into the CD-ROM drive and restart your
    computer
    2) Boot to the CD (refer to your user manual to find out how)
    3) Follow the prompts and put in your Windows XP CD when asked (now, I've
    installed Vista to another drive allowing me to dual boot so it never asked
    me for mine so I'm not sure when it'll ask for your Windows XP CD but I'm
    sure it'll ask for it after you put in your CD Key Code).
    4) Put back in the Vista 64-bit CD when asked to finish installtion.

    If you have any questions, don't be afread to ask =)

    Guest, Feb 2, 2007

  3. Guest

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    I believe a previous XP install is necessary to "upgrade," you no longer
    have the option of just providing the media.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Feb 2, 2007
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I don't think Microsoft will go as far as to forcing you to reinstall XP to
    install Vista Upgrade again.

    Nirok, just try the steps I've told you in my last post and if it won't
    install because it doesn't find a previous version installed, then go ahead
    and reinstall XP then move on to Vista.

    Guest, Feb 2, 2007
  5. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Aaron is correct. It will not ask for an XP cd.

    John Barnes, Feb 2, 2007
  6. Guest

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Nirok:
    Inserting the XP cd during installation no longer works with Vista.
    There is no direct upgrade path from a 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit
    operating system, only a custom installation is possible.
    Since you haven't installed Vista Home Premium yet there are things
    to know first. The first thing to do is back-up all your files, music,
    videos and important documents to a separate hard drive, CD or DVD media.
    You can't perform an in-place direct upgrade from XP Professional to VHP x86
    because there are some features in XP Pro that aren't in VHP, an upgrade
    installation would work from XP Home. If upgrading from XP Home, run the
    upgrade advisor, uninstall all anti-virus, spyware and firewall programs,
    uninstall Nero, WinDVD, PowerDVD and any conflicts listed by the upgrade
    advisor then perform the upgrade. If upgrading from XP Professional a custom
    (clean) installation would be required, the XP installation will be rolled
    into a Windows.old folder. After VHP is installed you need to reinstall all
    necessary programs, then your saved data can be reinstalled from your
    back-up or from the Windows.old folder. The Windows.old folder can be
    deleted after you're done. The custom installation from XP Home would be the
    same as from XP Professional.
    When you decide to upgrade to VHP x64, booting from the x64 DVD from
    a running VHP x86 system would allow a custom installation. With VHP x64 you
    can also boot from the x64 DVD to perform a custom installation as long as a
    qualifying operating system is installed and activated. Have a great day.

    Dennis Pack, Feb 2, 2007
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    How would I go about making this switch if my purchase was a downloadable copy?

    Guest, Feb 3, 2007
  8. Guest

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Jonas:
    I don't have an answer to that question. I'm currently not running
    any retail versions. It would probably help you more by creating a new post
    with the same question. Have a great day.

    Dennis Pack, Feb 3, 2007