    it?

    Thanks,

    Fenton

    Fenton Beasley, Apr 17, 2006

  2. Fenton Beasley

    Jimchip Guest

    [snip]

    It sounds like you have RH and want to use XP?

    You can partition/format the hard drive from within RH (make the new
    patition FAT32, probably) and let XP 'find' the partition and install.

    If it's your computer and you just want XP and not keep RH then you would
    just let XP reformat the whole drive.

    Jimchip, Apr 17, 2006

  3. Fenton Beasley

    Margolotta Guest

    So, you're asking if Linux (a free operating system) can be used as a
    qualifying product for Windows? You didn't really think about this, did you?
    Do you really think that MS would allow you to use a *FREE* non-MS operating
    system to qualify for a discount?!

    If you're asking 'Can XP be installed over the top of Linux?' then, no, it
    can't. They use totally different file formats for a start - and neither will
    recognise the other (okay, that's not strictly true; Linux will *read* NTFS,
    but it cannot write to it). Windows cannot read - or write - to Ext3.

    (Why do I get the feeling I've just helped some lazy college kid with his
    homework...?)

    Margolotta, Apr 17, 2006
  4. : On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 02:27:17 +0100, Fenton Beasley wrote
    : (in article <4442eeec$0$7602$>):
    :
    : > I'm doing a project at college and I've never used Linux OS before. Can
    : > someone tell me if you can do an 'upgrade' install from Red
    : > hat to XP Pro?
    : >
    : > I've googled it but can't get the answer I'm looking for. Are there any
    : > websites that offer step by step instructions on how to do
    : > it?
    : >
    : > Thanks,
    : >
    : > Fenton
    : >
    : >
    :
    : So, you're asking if Linux (a free operating system) can be used as a
    : qualifying product for Windows? You didn't really think about this, did you?
    : Do you really think that MS would allow you to use a *FREE* non-MS operating
    : system to qualify for a discount?!
    :
    : If you're asking 'Can XP be installed over the top of Linux?' then, no, it
    : can't. They use totally different file formats for a start - and neither will
    : recognise the other (okay, that's not strictly true; Linux will *read* NTFS,
    : but it cannot write to it). Windows cannot read - or write - to Ext3.
    :
    : (Why do I get the feeling I've just helped some lazy college kid with his
    : homework...?)
    :

    1. I'm 37
    2. It was a hypothetical question. I don't actually want to do an upgrade installation of XP pro
    3. I've looked at Google including previous newsgroup posts. I really couldn't find the answer
    4. Thanks for answering... I think

    Fenton Beasley, Apr 17, 2006
  5. Fenton Beasley

    Mitch Guest

    If you are serious, then you are asking a nonsense question.
    Those are two totally different operating systems; they don't have
    anything to do with each other. It's like asking if the organs of a
    chimpanzee can be upgraded to engine parts of dump truck.

    You can install Red Hat to the same kinds of hardware that use WinXP,
    but Red Hat is compatible with many more kinds of hardware than XP is.

    Mitch, Apr 17, 2006
  6. : In article <4442eeec$0$7602$>, Fenton
    :
    : > I'm doing a project at college and I've never used Linux OS before. Can
    : > someone tell me if you can do an 'upgrade' install from Red
    : > hat to XP Pro?
    : >
    : > I've googled it but can't get the answer I'm looking for. Are there any
    : > websites that offer step by step instructions on how to do
    : > it?
    :
    : If you are serious, then you are asking a nonsense question.
    : Those are two totally different operating systems; they don't have
    : anything to do with each other. It's like asking if the organs of a
    : chimpanzee can be upgraded to engine parts of dump truck.
    :
    : You can install Red Hat to the same kinds of hardware that use WinXP,
    : but Red Hat is compatible with many more kinds of hardware than XP is.

    Then that is my answer - I cannot perform an upgrade installation from Red hat to XP Pro. My test question is this:

    "How would you upgrade the Red Hat operating system to Windows XP (detail it step by step - no instructions on how to do it are
    required, just the steps)"

    Thank you for answering

    Fenton

    Fenton Beasley, Apr 17, 2006
  7. Fenton Beasley

    Jerry Attic Guest

    A.) Wipe the drive.

    B.) Create a new partition and install a fresh copy of XP pro.

    HTH

    Jerry Attic, Apr 17, 2006
  8. You should look up what an "upgrade" is, some day. That would not be one.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 17, 2006
  9. Fenton Beasley

    beenthere Guest

    Oh Yes WindowsXP can. You just need Ext2ifs_1_10a.snipped.

    beenthere, Apr 17, 2006
  10. Fenton Beasley

    Whiskers Guest

    You could replace Red Hat with Windows, but it wouldn't be an 'upgrade' it
    would be a complete change, and probably not for the 'better'. Like
    scrapping a Mercedes truck and buying a season ticket on a dodgy bus
    service instead ;))

    Whiskers, Apr 17, 2006
  11. You can upgrade Redhat with Redhat Version9 or even Fedora Core.
    Also, there are XP upgrade versions you can use to upgrade win9x/me or
    nt/2k. But you cannot use another type of OS to upgrade.

    Walter Mautner, Apr 17, 2006
  12. Fenton Beasley

    Gordon Guest

    that's not an upgrade, it's a MAJOR downgrade.

    Gordon, Apr 17, 2006
  13. Fenton Beasley

    Mitch Guest

    It really isn't an answer -- you can't answer a nonsense question.
    It just doesn't make any sense.
    If you are confident the question just completely misuses the term
    'upgrade,' then answer 'No,' or as some others have answered, give the
    details of 'format, then install new OS from disc.'

    If you have the opportunity, insist that it be reworded -- as it is,
    this question is forcing you into a nonsense position. The only mistake
    right now would be answering it as though you know what it means.

    Of course, if you can't get the question clarified, you'll just have to
    gamble, and smack the instructor later.

    Mitch, Apr 17, 2006
  14. Fenton Beasley

    philo Guest

    Your question makes no sense at all...

    it's like saying that you'd like to upgrade your VW to a Chevy

    philo, Apr 17, 2006
  15. philo wrote:

    Uhm, you got that wrong. It looks like the attempt to change a Bentley truck
    for a cockroach instead of just rolling over it.

    Walter Mautner, Apr 17, 2006
  16. Fenton Beasley

    philo Guest

    Yes