    have 64 bit Home Premium and I need to go to ultimate. Do I need to be
    careful which upgrade I pick, or is there just one upgrade on the market that
    includes both versions? Does anybody know? I'd appreciate any advice...thanks!

    Karabri, May 21, 2008

  2. Karabri

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Karabri.

    The Vista Ultimate retail package includes TWO DVDs and ONE Product Key.
    One disk has the 32-bit version, the other has 64-bit. Pick the one you
    want and use it, inputting the one PK when asked.

    You can Upgrade from Home Premium x64 to Ultimate x64 by booting into Home
    Premium x64 and running Ultimate x64 Setup from there. Either the Full or
    the Upgrade Ultimate package will work for an upgrade. Since you have Vista
    already installed, you could buy the Upgrade package and do a Custom (clean)
    install of Ultimate after booting into Premium. But it must be a retail
    package; there are different rules for an OEM package.

    Most of the questions posted here involve upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit.
    That requires a clean install because of the change from 32 to 64 bits, not
    because of a change from Home to Ultimate.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, May 21, 2008

  3. All Vista Ultimate upgrade editions are the same. They contain both dvds.
    To upgrade from any 64bit VHP to 64bit Ultimate simply insert your 64bit dvd
    at the VHP x64 desktop and click on Install Now. Once you enter the
    Ultimate product key Setup will let you perform an upgrade installation of
    Ultimate. It is very straightforward.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 21, 2008