    happens.

    What elese can I do to clean up the PC?

    Mike

    Mike, Feb 8, 2005

  2. Mike

    SwissTony Guest

    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html look in the download
    section halfway down the page.
    Detection updates and advanced check library updates can be downloaded
    separately.

    SwissTony, Feb 8, 2005

  3. Mike

    Archie77 Guest

    Adaware and Spybot can both be updated once you load them... Look for a
    button or option that says 'check for updates now'. It will then check for
    and ask you to download the latest definition file.

    To speed up the computer you could try some other things. You could also go
    through Add/Remove programs in his control panel and remove all the programs
    he doesn't use anymore. Also, I know you are scanning for spyware/adware,
    but you should also run a scan for viruses. You can scan for viruses online
    at housecall.antivirus.com.
    Consider cleaning up the registry as well. When you install/uninstall
    programs often the registry becomes cluttered with invalid entries. Check
    out this website for help on doing that:
    http://www.computerbits.com/archive/1998/0600/regclean_intro.html
    If the computer is running Windows XP click start -> run -> type in
    'msconfig'... In the window that comes up click the "startup" tab and remove
    the check mark beside any programs that don't need be loaded when Windows
    starts. You can look up what each program does by typing in it's .exe name
    at http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

    Good luck

    Archie77, Feb 8, 2005