    traffic levels, now that we have YouTube and everyone has a high
    definition video camera in their pocket.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Feb 25, 2015

  2. Two good points.

    Thick Ethernet 10Mb/s (a very thick stiff coax):
    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10BASE5
    "10BASE5 coaxial cables had a maximum length of 500 meters (1,640 ft)."

    Thin Ethernet 10Mb/s (coax):
    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10BASE2
    "10BASE2 coax cables have a maximum length of 185 meters (607 ft)."

    Fast Ethernet over 100Mb/s CAT5:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Ethernet#100BASE-TX
    "Each network segment can have a maximum cabling distance of 100 metres
    (328 ft)."

    And:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_over_twisted_pair#Variants

    Not sure it proves anything though.

    Brian Gregory, Feb 25, 2015

  3. David

    Mark Guest

    The best option for the future would be FTTP.

    Bonding, vectoring and 'phantom mode' are all improvements to VDSL
    broadband access that can theoretically help. Openreach has been
    trialing vectoring for a while. Google for more info.

    Maybe some of the more entrepreneurial ISPs might provide their own
    flavour of pair bonding one day soon, just as some do with ADSL2+. (e.g.
    A&A)

    Of course you'd pay rental charges for each line....

    [snip]

    Mark, Feb 25, 2015
  4. G.Fast? - http://users.plus.net/QL:1844C41B
    G.Fast is built on FTTdp/FTTrN technology which could be seen as
    bringing the cabinet closer (although not in the traditional sense).

    Plusnet Support Team, Feb 27, 2015
  5. David

    Graham J Guest

    A quick read suggests the implementation will be fraught with
    difficulties so avaiability will be very patchy.

    It would be better if BT were to get ADSL to EVERYBODY first - then
    upgrade everybody to FTTC before creating massive customer
    dissatisfaction by offering a few people in convenient locations speeds
    that are that much better.

    Graham J, Feb 27, 2015
  6. David

    David Guest

    Well in my case and I'm sure for others we need to see more cabinets so
    as to get us near enough to a cabinet so we all have a chance of getting
    the best out of FTTC and not be limited to up to 38Mb service and a
    choice of going up to 76Mb.

    Regards
    David

    David, Feb 27, 2015
  7. David

    Dick Guest

    What is it with this obsession for huge speeds? Unless you are regularly
    downloading huge files (multi GB) or have about 20 teenagers all
    streaming different HD movies I can't see the need.

    Dick, Feb 27, 2015
  8. David

    Roger Mills Guest

    Sounds like I should have kept quiet. I've been away for a few days, and
    have returned home to find that my speed has now dropped to 38M!

    Not that it makes an practical difference, fortunately.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Feb 28, 2015
  9. David

    Kraftee Guest

    If you check on a daily bases, or even regularly over the course of a few
    days you'll find all sorts of strange results, the highest (for me) is
    56Mbps the slowest is 8Mbps but it all evens out in the end. As long as you
    can do what you want, when you want to do it (and not get throttled back by
    your connection) I wouldn't worry about it.

    Kraftee, Feb 28, 2015