Unusual problem with Windows desktop

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by GW, Apr 10, 2006.

  1. GW

    GW Guest

    Hi,

    I have a PC running Windows XP Home with Logitech optical mouse, and it
    is doing something I have never seen before.

    When I boot up the machine and log in, whatever icon is in the bottom
    left hand corner has its text highlighted. It is like it would be had I
    click on it, but it is not blue.

    This may not be a big deal, but when you click on another icon on the
    desktop to open it, it opens the highlighted icon instead of the one
    you want to open.

    The same happens when attempting to use the menus by clicking with the
    right hand mouse button. From the tests I have done, the issue does not
    affect the Start Menu - everthing in the Start Menu opens, but any
    other windows, such as Control Panel behaves the same way as the desk
    top icons. Whatever icon is the bottom left has focus and that is what
    opens.

    The only way around I have found is to use your arrow keys to select a
    different icon. This works until the next reboot, then we are back to
    square one.

    Has anyone experienced this problem before and if so, could you please
    tell me how you got round it ?

    Thanks

    GW

    GW, Apr 10, 2006

  2. GW

    Shell Guest

    Unplug the keyboard and reboot, does it still happen?

    Shell, Apr 10, 2006

  3. GW

    GW Guest

    Hi Shell,

    Can you expand on this ? Do you think there is a problem with the
    keyboard ?

    GW

    GW, Apr 11, 2006