Unuseable Logical drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Alan and Christine Withey, Mar 29, 2005.

  1. My second machine (made up of bits & pieces left over after many upgades),
    PII, 20 Gig HDD, has a problem. This is a totally empty machine, with just
    Win Me and a Logitech mouse driver. I used fdisk to partition the hard
    drive into a primary partition (C:) and five logical drives, D:, E:, F:, G:
    and H:, (don't ask why, I just like it that way) but when I tried to format
    drive D: in DOS, I got a message saying "Invalid media or Track 0 bad. Disk
    unusable". All the other partitions formatted without trouble. I installed
    Win Me on C: and it runs fine but any activity involving work on the drives
    runs very slowly, even if it it doesn't involve drive D: and the drive makes
    the little scratchy noises that it made when I was trying to format it.

    Weird !!!
    I just went and checked and everything now seems to be OK. No scratchy
    noises, everything working normally. The supposed unformatted D: drive
    accepted a *.txt file, closed and re-opened it. I ran scandisk and it
    reported no bad sectors on the surface scan. Most suspicious of all, though
    is the appearance of another drive (I:) in the drive list produced when I
    click on My Computer. All its details (size etc) are exactly the same as
    those of Drive D:

    I've just found a note on the performance page of System Properties that
    says drive D: is using MS-DOS compatibility mode filing system, which I
    really don't want.

    One other thing which may or may not be part of the puzzle: I can run fdisk
    from the Windows Run Command but when I try to run "fdisk status" from
    Windows I get "Parse Error 9" in the black MS-DOS window.

    Any help or explanations would be most gratefully recieved

    TIA

    Christine Withey

    Alan and Christine Withey, Mar 29, 2005

  2. Alan and Christine Withey

    MrGrumpy Guest

    'Little scratch sounds' are v.often the sign of a failing hd. Check hd manu
    for a checking utility.
    PS any point to 6 partitions with a 20gb hd? , equates to about 3gb for each

    MrGrumpy, Mar 29, 2005

  3. Alan and Christine Withey

    °Mike° Guest

    Time for a new drive.

    In <>,
    Alan and Christine Withey took 35 lines to utter:

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Mar 29, 2005