UNS act of 2003 How does this effect photographers?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by xx, Nov 19, 2003.

  1. xx

    xx Guest

    Universal National Service Act of 2003 (Introduced in House)

    H. R. 163
    To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons in
    the United States, including
    women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian
    service in furtherance of the national
    defense and homeland security, and for other purposes.

    (a) OBLIGATION FOR YOUNG PERSONS- It is the obligation of every citizen
    of the United States,
    and every other person residing in the United States, who is between the
    ages of 18 and 26 to perform a
    period of national service as prescribed in this Act unless exempted
    under the provisions of this Act .

    (b) FORM OF NATIONAL SERVICE - National service under this Act shall be
    performed either--

    (1) as a member of an active or reverse component of the uniformed
    services; or

    (2) in a civilian capacity that, as determined by the President,
    promotes the national defense,
    including national or community service and homeland security.

    (c) INDUCTION REQUIREMENTS- The President shall provide for the
    induction of persons
    covered by subsection (a) to perform national service under this Act .

    SEC. 3. TWO-YEAR PERIOD OF NATIONAL SERVICE .

    (a) GENERAL RULE- Except as otherwise provided in this section, the
    period of national service
    performed by a person under this Act shall be two years.

    (b) GROUNDS FOR EXTENSION- At the discretion of the President, the
    period of military service
    for a member of the uniformed services under this Act may be extended--

    (d) EXAMINATION; CLASSIFICATION- Every person subject to induction under
    this Act shall,
    before induction, be physically and mentally examined and shall be
    classified as to fitness to perform national
    service .

    Think this is a JOKE?

    To find this Bill click here. http://thomas.loc.gov/ and enter
    "Universal National Service Act of 2003" in the
    search field.

    xx, Nov 19, 2003

  2. xx

    Darrell Guest

    Who cares? As much as George Jr. would like to think, the rest of the World
    doesn't revolve around the USA

    Darrell, Nov 19, 2003

  3. xx

    Tumbleweed Guest

    <snip>

    I doubt there are many photographers in the UK who will be affected.

    Tumbleweed, Nov 19, 2003
  4. xx

    James Hart Guest

    Maybe that's what Bush is over here for, he's gonna get Tony to sign us all
    up!!

    James Hart, Nov 19, 2003
  5. xx

    fruitbat Guest

    Oh no! It's a year-old bill that was proposed just to make an anti-war
    point and has no chance of being passed because nobody in congress was
    ever really serious about enacting it in the first place! SOMEBODY DO
    SOMETHING!!!

    Jeff

    fruitbat, Nov 20, 2003
  6. xx

    Mike Jackson Guest

    Universal National Service Act of 2003 (Introduced in House)
    Think THAT is bad?
    What about THIS......

    Tommy Franks: Martial Law Will Replace Constitution After Next Terror
    Attack

    Gen. Tommy Franks says that if the United States is hit with a weapon of
    mass destruction that inflicts large casualties, the Constitution will
    likely be discarded in favor of a military form of government.

    Franks then offered “in a practical sense” what he thinks would happen
    in the aftermath of such an attack.

    “It means the potential of a weapon of mass destruction and a terrorist,
    massive, casualty-producing event somewhere in the Western world – it
    may be in the United States of America – that causes our population to
    question our own Constitution and to begin to militarize our country in
    order to avoid a repeat of another mass, casualty-producing event. Which
    in fact, then begins to unravel the fabric of our Constitution. Two
    steps, very, very important.”

    Franks didn’t speculate about how soon such an event might take place.

    Already, critics of the U.S. Patriot Act, rushed through Congress in the
    wake of the Sept. 11 attacks, have argued that the law aims to curtail
    civil liberties and sets a dangerous precedent.

    But Franks’ scenario goes much further. He is the first high-ranking
    official to openly speculate that the Constitution could be scrapped in
    favor of a military form of government.

    ---------------------------------------
    Keep in mind, the US can just stage another attack, and then turn to marshal law
    anytime they want to.

    It is the fact that no one can believe that Bush would have had this
    done himself, that makes it so easy FOR him to do. Even when the
    evidence can be shown to people, they still won't believe it and call it
    some crazy conspiracy theory! KNOWING this about people... When a
    madman like Bush DOES want to do this, he is safe to do so, as no one
    will believe it even if the truth leaks out.

    Right? Ask yourself WHY you don't believe this, and I prove my point.

    Mike Jackson, Nov 21, 2003