Unloading Memory Stick While Travelling

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by greensteak, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. greensteak

    greensteak Guest

    Hello,

    I've given this subject some thought, and here's my take:

    OK, I'm traveling, and I have no computer or access to one. How do I
    manage my digital photo files?

    First, I have two 128MB Sony Memory Sticks, which together hold around
    100 files
    of pictures taken in fine mode at full resolution (DSC F717). What do
    I do when the sticks are full?

    Good question, eh? You might say, Greensteak, why do you need full
    resolution files in fine mode? Well, I just do. Then you might say,
    Greensteak, why don't you get a couple of 1 gig sticks? Two reasons:
    too expensive, and I really don't like having all of my digital files
    in one location for long periods of time. I like to download and
    archive daily.

    So, the only solution I can think of is to buy a notebook computer and
    haul it around with the camera equipment. Even if there is a device I
    can download the sticks to other than a notebook computer, it probably
    won't allow me to verify that the files were transferred intact. With
    the notebook, I can view the files and also archive them on the spot.
    This solution be more expensive that the 1 gig sticks, but is much
    more reliable in as far as I can verify what I am doing.

    So, the reason I am writing is so that somebody can show me a better
    way, if one exists.

    Thanks

    greensteak, Jan 27, 2004

  2. greensteak

    jimkramer Guest

    Try this:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ils.asp?EdpNo=618098&Sku=W132-1006&CatId=1203
    There are several products like this out there, this is just the first that
    popped up.
    Somewhere I saw something similar that would dump them on to a CD-R, all
    battery powered.
    But for $200 you can get 1/2 gig Lexar MSpro? and $60 more will get you a
    gig stick?
    Hardly seems worth it unless you are going to take 1,000's pictures, between
    computer visits.
    If you are traveling, a hard drive is a lot less reliable then the memory
    sticks are; HD #2 on my laptop in less that two years.
    good luck,
    Jim Kramer

    jimkramer, Jan 27, 2004

  3. greensteak

    Irwell Guest

    Check rec.travel.europe, there
    is a thread with 51
    suggestions to your problem.

    Irwell, Jan 27, 2004
  4. greensteak

    jimkramer Guest

    jimkramer, Jan 27, 2004
  5. greensteak

    Mike Anselmo Guest

    I have the Apacer Disk Steno and it works fine for me. It has a write and
    check mode. I've never lost a picture. It does have one problem though. It
    will NOT read my Lexar Memory Sticks. It will only read the Sony ones. Other
    than that I would recommend it.
    Mike

    Mike Anselmo, Jan 27, 2004
  6. greensteak

    JS Guest

    Have you considered this device?
    http://www.vosonic.com/index.php?php_mode=spec&php_itemid=20

    From the website: "X's-Drive Pro VP300 X's-drive Pro acts not only a
    portable storage device but also a MP3 player.General functions
    include MP3s playback, multi-language file name display, data size,
    file deletion and connection with PC and Mac via USB 2. "

    I've not used this version myself, but I have used the Vosonic X's
    Drive II VP2060 (an older, cheaper version without the viewing and MP3
    playback capabilities) since June 2003 without any problems. I've
    brought the device with me to Namibia, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand and
    New Zealand.

    //// SNIP ////

    JS, Jan 28, 2004
  7. greensteak

    greensteak Guest

    Thanks folks! All your posts look like valuable databases to begin
    researching a product to suit my needs. Within a few days I should be
    able to check into all of the recommended sites/products/solutions.

    Greensteak

    greensteak, Jan 28, 2004
  8. greensteak

    Ray Fischer Guest

    So you think that several memory sticks are too expensive, but a laptop
    isn't too expensive.

    Give it some more thought.

    Ray Fischer, Feb 1, 2004
  9. greensteak

    Big Kahuna Guest

    Go with the laptop. Even a couple of gig sticks won't even get me by
    when I'm gone for a couple of weeks.

    Big Kahuna, Feb 2, 2004
  10. greensteak

    John Langill Guest

    You might consider a product called Digital Photo Library from I/O Magic.
    This is a palm-size, battery-powered, 20-gigabyte hard-drive with a built-in
    6-in-1 memory card reader. I took one with me on a trip to Australia to
    store digital photos until I could get to a PC. At around $149 US, it's a
    lot cheaper than a laptop PC -- and smaller and lighter, too. Also, a lot
    cheaper and easier to manage than a fist full of memory cards.

    Hope this is of some help.

    John

    John Langill, Feb 2, 2004
  11. greensteak

    Pete Nalda Guest

    One other option would be to get a Sony Clie handheld.

    Pete Nalda, Feb 3, 2004