Unknown Device in Device Manager - how to identify?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Colin Barnhorst, Jul 21, 2005.

  1. In my x64 Device Manager under Other Devices I have an Unknown device (with
    the usual yellow question mark).

    On the Properities page, General Tab, under Location: on PCI bus. Under
    status "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)."

    On the Driver Tab, everything is Unknown or Not Available, etc.

    On the Details Tab the
    Device Instance Id is "ACPI\ATK0110\1010110
    Hardware Id is "ATK0110
    Several properties are blank
    Enumerator is ACPI
    Capabilities are "CM_DEVCAP_UNIQUEID" and "CM_DEVCAP_SILENTINSTALL"
    Devnode Flags are "DN_HAS_PROBLEM" "DN_DISABLEABLE" "DN_NT_ENUMERATOR"
    and "DN_NT_DRIVER"
    etc, etc.

    I am looking for tips on figuring out how to identify this unknown device so
    I can deal with it appropriately. There are no cards in the PCI slots (but
    I am aware that the PCI bus supprots many devices).

    WinXP Pro x64, AMD Athlon 64 x2, 2GB ram, ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe board, SATA
    Hitachi drives (not Raid), GeForce 6800 GT video on PCI Express.

    I suspect something like a fan sensor unplugged, but what do I know?

    Be happy to have suggestions from all you fine folks.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 21, 2005

  2. Colin Barnhorst

    Goody2shoe Guest

    Check the driver available here. This splat occurs on Asus A8N only because
    the driver INF is not quite right for the release version of XP x64. It
    worked in earlier betas but not for the released version.
    http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php/t6455.html

    Goody2shoe, Jul 21, 2005

  3. Great. I see the three files in the folder, but how do I utilize them? Copy
    to a particular folder to overwrite the versions I have now and reboot?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 21, 2005
  4. Colin Barnhorst

    Goody2shoe Guest

    I googled "A8N unknown device ATK0110" and got this hit. This is a better
    explanation of the fix.
    I think this is called "Decorating" a driver to define whether it is for
    AMD64 or Intel64. This wasn't required for drivers in early beta of XP64.
    ==================================
    http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php/t3598.html

    It's a ATK0110 APCI Util used for changing the fsb and multiplier under
    windows for AI Booster.

    Here is how you fix it. this fix works on all Asus A8N-SLI Motherboards,
    Basic and Deluxe Versions regardless of bios versions and is for Windows x64
    build 1289 onwards. I am running build 1433 RC2 and this still work aok.

    Insert your motherboard driver cd or download the latest AI Booster from
    Asus.
    Browse the cd and goto \software\aibooster\acpi64 and copy the win2000
    folder to your desktop.
    Open the win2000 folder on your desktop and open the file ATK2000.ini with
    Notepad.

    Look for this

    [Manufacturer]
    %ATK%=ATK

    [ATK]
    %DeviceDesc1%=DriverInstall,ACPI\ATK0110

    and change it to this (bold text is only to show you what you have to
    change)

    [Manufacturer]
    %ATK%=ATK,NTamd64

    [ATK.NTamd64]
    %DeviceDesc1%=DriverInstall,ACPI\ATK0110

    Save the file and then go to the unknown device in device manager and manual
    update the driver pointing it to the win2000 directory on your desktop.

    There is no need to install the AIBooster software if you aren't going to
    use it.

    If you attempted to run AIBooster previously it would have errored during
    the install of the APCI driver but it will install now aok and run fine.

    Drivers now have to be assigned in this way as from build 1289. This mod
    will probably work with other drivers that you found that worked on previous
    build versions but don't work on the new build version.

    That's it done.
    Good luck.
    StOrMtRoOpEr [HOW] Clan
    ==================================

    Goody2shoe, Jul 21, 2005
  5. Thanks for the great reply. I started with x64 with the rtm build but I do
    understand the decoration issue. You were very clear and I am on my way.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 21, 2005
  6. Thank you Goody2Shoe for your patience. All is well. The driver installed
    and the Unknown Device has vanished. Job well done.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 21, 2005
  7. For others reading this thread, the device turned out to be "ATK0110 ACPI
    UTILITY" and installs under System Devices in the Device Manager.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 21, 2005
  8. Colin Barnhorst

    sajid

    Joined: