    doesn't support STREAMS but as far as everything else including BSD sockets
    all should work shouldn't it? Does anyone have or recommend this book?

    Bill

    Bill Cunningham, May 9, 2014

  2. Bill Cunningham

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    Can you give author, publisher and year of publication?

    /Jorgen

    Jorgen Grahn, May 10, 2014

  3. Bill Cunningham

    Damien Wyart Guest

    Damien Wyart, May 10, 2014
  4. Bill Cunningham

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    Jorgen Grahn, May 10, 2014
  5. UNIX Network Programming. W. Richard Stevens. 2d edition Vol 1. Prentice
    Hall
    Copyright 1998.

    Bill Cunningham, May 10, 2014
  6. Bill Cunningham

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    Oh, /that/ one. As far as I'm concerned it's still relevant, with
    IPv6 support covered and everything. It's the book I use myself.

    Note though that:
    - Some of the interfaces (XTI?) covered never went anywhere (I think
    you mentioned seeing that).
    - I haven't checked the 3rd edition from 2003; seeing what they added
    and removed could be enlightening.

    Read it in combination with the man pages and you should be fine.
    Also if you're on Linux, check out epoll(7) which isn't covered in
    the book.

    /Jorgen

    Jorgen Grahn, May 10, 2014
  7. Bill Cunningham

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    And by the way, if anyone knows a better book (i.e. has used 2nd
    edition but now uses something else) I'd like to hear about it.
    Sixteen years is plenty of time to write a better book.

    /Jorgen

    Jorgen Grahn, May 10, 2014
  8. I also have an older paperback book. It's from the '80s and it must be
    pre getaddrinfo() and that struct addrinfo must not have existed. A lot they
    say had to be more done by hand.

    Bill

    Bill Cunningham, May 10, 2014