    through-tunnel and external lookups, like >5 sec per query/response.
    --

    - Eric Sorenson - Explosive Networking - http://eric.explosive.net -

    Eric Sorenson, Jan 6, 2005

  2. Eric Sorenson <> wrote:
    > Anyone else seeing really slow DNS lookups through split-tunnel
    > VPN3k connections on recent linux kernels (i.e. 2.6.9 from
    > fedora core 3)..? CSCee27420 has the tantalizing message
    >
    > Conditions: The linux 2.6.5 kernel made some changes that caused DNS
    > resolution to fail."
    > Workarounds: Upgrade to Linux VPN Client version
    > 4.6.00.0045 or higher.
    >
    > But although 4.6.00.0045 does work, DNS is very, very slow for both
    > through-tunnel and external lookups, like >5 sec per query/response.

    To answer my own question, this is caused by a problem with ipv6
    being enabled by default. To fix, unless you really need ipv6 support,
    do

    echo "NETWORKING_IPV6=no" >> /etc/sysconfig/network
    echo "alias ipv6 off" >> /etc/modprobe.conf
    echo "alias net-pf-10 off" >> /etc/modprobe.conf

    and reboot...
    --

    - Eric Sorenson - Explosive Networking - http://eric.explosive.net -

    Eric Sorenson, Jan 24, 2005