United States Postal Inspection Service response to a chain letter complaint

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Joel Rubin, Dec 30, 2004.

  1. Joel Rubin

    Joel Rubin Guest

    A while back someone asked about U.S. law on "make money fast"
    (pyramid/chain letter) scams.

    This is a snail mail response to a complaint I made at:

    https://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/fraud/MailFraudComplaint.htm

    You can see the classic USPIS chain letter page at:

    http://www.usps.com/websites/depart/inspect/chainlet.htm

    Note that the USPIS has jurisdiction over chain letters where some
    aspect of the scheme uses the U.S. mails but not over Paypal chain
    letters. That doesn't make Paypal chain letters legal - it just says
    the USPIS ain't interested.

    The USPIS has busted a kiddie porn website - because some customers
    were sending checks through the mail. It doesn't mean the site would
    have become legal under U.S. or state law had it not used that
    particular payment means. The list of laws which it violated might
    have changed.

    Excuse me for any OCR erros on the scanned paper. I did use a spelling
    checker.

    Joel Rubin, Dec 30, 2004

  2. Joel Rubin

    Rick12N4 Guest

    Thanks for the follow-up and useful advice.

    Rick12N4, Dec 30, 2004