Unique Network setup - wireless /w wired

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by AC, Feb 6, 2005.

  1. AC

    AC Guest

    hello to all,

    I'm new to newsgroups but I've got my wireless working fine, maybe I can
    help some of you to figure out your problems but here's mine.

    I have a house wide LAN with the main wired connection to my ISP in one
    room(office) and a wirelessly connected computer in the other(livingroom).
    What I'd like to do is connect my Xbox to the wired connection of the
    computer in the livingroom and have it able to connect to the Internet
    through the wireless connection of that computer. also could I connect a
    hub to the wireless connection in order to extend the LAN. I'd like to be
    able to have LAN parties but the office is too small to allow many
    connections, and most of my clan friends don't have wireless connections.

    Any suggestions?

    TIA, AC

    AC, Feb 6, 2005

  2. AC

    Tony Guest

    You can put a second network card in the PC downstairs and connect it to the
    Xbox using a crossover cable. Assuming you are using windows XP, you can
    then bridge the network connections connections.

    Easiest way would be to buy a wireless client such as a DWL 810+
    http://www.d-link.com/products/?sec=0&pid=21 and plug it into a hub or
    switch (that's what I do but use the DWL 700AP which has been replaced by
    the DWL810+)

    Tony, Feb 6, 2005

  3. AC

    AC Guest

    Hey thanks for your help on this one I did a little research after I tried
    the main setup that you describes and had some problems with the DHCP
    process, seems my wireless wouldn't autorun in Compatibility mode so this
    article helped greatly, it actually describes what I wanted to do.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/crawford_02april22.mspx

    Thanks for your help again Tony, hope this helps someone else in the future.

    AC, Feb 7, 2005