Unidentified process on BOTH computers.

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Eddy, May 5, 2009.

  1. Eddy

    Eddy Guest

    Strange thing happened here this morning.

    At exactly the same time both computers on our home network, in
    different rooms, started going through some involved kind of process,
    using a lot of memory that the mouse etc., almost came to a standstill.
    Both hard discs were working hard, producing the same kind of sounds as
    if some massive file was being saved or some massive program was being
    installed. The process took about 10 minutes and after it finished
    everything returned to normal on both machines, i.e. normal browsing
    resumed.

    Both computers were attached to the internet via the router at the time.
    Both computers were firewalled and both had their anti-virus software
    running. We don't have things set up so that we can communicate
    directly between both computers.

    Any ideas on what was happening?

    Thanks,
    Eddy.

    Eddy, May 5, 2009

  2. Eddy

    Chris Whelan Guest

    It would be helpful to give details of operating system, installed
    malware programs and the like.

    Chris

    Chris Whelan, May 5, 2009

  3. Eddy

    Sam Guest

    It would indeed be useful.

    What process? Use Process Explorer:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
    Obviously not much use if the action is over, though. Do a search for
    files recently created/modified.

    One possibility would be a Windows/Office update - i.e. Office 2007 SP2
    was released a few days ago on Automatic Updates, and I seem to remember
    noticing that it was about 250 megs (!) and took 20 minutes to install
    on my work PC.

    Sam, May 7, 2009