    too quickly; so I bought the external flash. Is this a common experience
    for 420EX ? Is there any trick to get the correct exposure other than
    setting the exposure compensation to 2/3rd stop over ?

    Gautam Majumdar, Jan 15, 2005

  2. Gautam Majumdar

    Mark² Guest

    You may simply need to do a flash exposure lock on a more neutral tone in
    your scene/subject, then re-frame..
    If you're metering off of light skin, or light clothing, or etc., this will
    fool many cameras.

    Set FEL by pointing to green grass, denim jeans, or other middle-toned
    items, and you'll likely see results.
    The camera can't know what you're pointing at, and by default...tries to
    meter for a neutral tone. This means light scenes can render too dark, and
    dark scenes can render too light (like a wedding dress, or black tuxedo).

    Mark², Jan 15, 2005

  3. Gautam Majumdar

    chris Guest

    I breifly read the manuals of the camera and flash and thought the
    exposure is measured using matrix metering. Are you saying when you use
    flash, it'll revert to partial metering

    chris, Jan 16, 2005
  4. Well, I tried out with a 18% grey card as focus point, but still they are
    underexposed to me. This last word may be important because the other
    person in the house told me that they were fine. But I cannot really take
    her seriously in these technical matters :).

    Gautam Majumdar, Jan 17, 2005
  5. Gautam Majumdar

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    Well, I tried out with a 18% grey card as focus point, but still they are
    FWIW, I just sent back my D300 for underexposing with an external flash.
    I tried flashes from Canon, SIgma, and Quantaray, to no avail - photos were
    very underexposed, to the point where the entire top half of the histogram
    would be empty. The kicker was that when the same flashes were used on a
    different D300, photos were still a little underexposed, but MUCH better
    than on mine.

    steve

    Steve Wolfe, Jan 17, 2005
  6. Gautam Majumdar

    Mark² Guest

    You probably should also check your monitor...as we ALL must from time to
    time.
    Go to this web page, and have a look at your monitor's rendition of shades
    of black/grey/white.
    http://www.jasc.com/support/kb/articles/monitor.asp
    If you can't distinguish the near-blacks from the black, then you can adjust
    your monitor's brightness and contrast accordingly. This is a great page
    for this, because it gives you the full, incremental range images to make
    adjustments with.
    -Mark

    Mark², Jan 17, 2005
  7. Thanks very much. My monitor was a bit less bright than optimum as per
    calibration from jasc. After increasing the brightness to optimum, the
    flash images look better exposed but the screen is too bright for my
    normal work with texts, etc. Well I have to live with that, I guess :)

    Gautam Majumdar, Jan 17, 2005
  8. Gautam Majumdar

    Frank ess Guest

    Some of that distress can be alleviated by choosing an off-white window
    color (advanced appearance in WinXP).

    Frank ess, Jan 17, 2005