Unable to set up new wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Dec 25, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi, one of my laptops is having trouble accessing the internet via wireless
    networking.

    I have 2 machines, both of similar Acer TravelMate models. Both have
    built-in 802.11b/g wireless LAN adapters, and came preinstalled with WinXP
    Home Edition.

    I have experienced 2 separate issues with wireless networking before, I
    don't know if they're related:

    1) I tried setting up a new network using the Wireless Network Setup Wizard,
    but it wouldn't allow me to enter a SSID at all. Any attempt to enter a name
    brings up an "invalid character" prompt, even when I entered a single
    number/letter. This problem did not occur with my other laptop. Note that I
    tried this before purchasing a router.

    2) I later used a wizard from a CD from my wireless router to configure my
    wireless network, and enabled WPA security. Note that this was the first time
    a home network of any kind was successfully set up, and that setup was done
    through the problematic laptop. Setup ran smoothly, and I was able to go
    online wirelessly on my other laptop without needing it to take part in the
    setup at all. However, with the problematic laptop, I could (apparently)
    connect to the wireless network (WinXP reported "connected" and "excellent"
    signal strength), but an internet connection could not be detected. Net
    access can be achieved by connecting my problematic laptop and wireless
    router using Ethernet cables.

    Windows reported that my network adapter was not experiencing problems.

    Do you know what's wrong?

    Thanks for you help!

    Guest, Dec 25, 2006

  2. Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 25, 2006

  3. Guest

    tbk Guest

    check if your wireless card gets dns form router or manually configure
    dns on wireless card

    and check for it . If you can ping the router then dns can only be the
    issue.

    tbk, Dec 26, 2006