Unable to see signs of life on SDLC port

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Mark, Feb 21, 2005.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    We have a requirement to transfer a couple of WAN links running over
    leased lines to TCP/IP. Problem is that no matter how I configure the
    Cisco's SDLC interface the debug SDLC packet doesn't show a single
    packet.

    The terminating devices are an IBM 2216 and a Compaq DECnet SNA
    Gateway for Synchronous Transport (DECnet SNA Gateway-ST).

    Given the config and outputs below what would cause the interfaces not
    to register a single packet?

    On the 2216...
    SDLC MAC/data-link on EIA-232E/V.24 interface
    Adapter cable: RS-232 DTE
    V.24 circuit: 105 106 107 108 109 125
    Nicknames: RTS CTS DSR DTR DCD RI
    RS-232: CA CB CC CD CF CE
    State: ON ON ON ON ON OFF
    Line speed: ~19.200 Kbps
    Last port reset: 1 day, 17 minutes, 55 seconds ago

    Link configuration for: ANGP2 (ENABLED)
    Role: PRIMARY Type: POINT-TO-POINT
    Duplex: FULL Modulo: 8
    Idle state: FLAG Encoding: NRZI
    Clocking: EXTERNAL Frame Size: 521
    Speed: 19200
    Cable: RS-232 DTE
    Timers: XID/TEST response: 2.0 sec
    SNRM response: 2.0 sec
    Poll response: 1.0 sec
    Inter-poll delay: 0.2 sec
    Inter-frame delay: DISABLED
    Leading flags: DISABLED
    Counters: XID/TEST retry: 8
    SNRM retry: 6
    Poll retry: 10

    On the Cisco 1760...
    interface Serial0/1
    no ip address
    encapsulation sdlc
    no keepalive
    serial restart-delay 0
    nrzi-encoding
    clockrate 19200
    sdlc role secondary
    sdlc vmac 4000.2100.0000
    sdlc poll-wait-timeout 1000
    sdlc N1 521
    sdlc address 40
    sdlc partner 4000.4100.0040 40
    sdlc simultaneous full-datmode
    end

    Serial0/1 is up, line protocol is up
    Hardware is PowerQUICC Serial
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 128 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    Encapsulation SDLC, loopback not set
    Restart-Delay is 0 secs
    Router link station role: SECONDARY (DCE)
    Router link station metrics:
    group poll not enabled
    poll-wait 1000 millieseconds
    N1 (max frame size) 521 bits
    modulo 8
    sdlc vmac: 4000.2100.00--
    sdlc addr 40 state is DISCONNECT
    cls_state is CLS_STN_CLOSED
    VS 0, VR 0, Remote VR 0, Current retransmit count 0
    Hold queue: 0/200 IFRAMEs 0/0
    TESTs 0/0 XIDs 0/0, DMs 0/0 FRMRs 0/0
    RNRs 0/0 SNRMs 0/0 DISC/RDs 0/0 REJs 0/0 chain: 40/40
    Last input never, output never, output hang never
    Last clearing of "show interface" counters 2w0d
    Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops:
    0
    Queueing strategy: fifo
    Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
    0 packets input, 0 bytes, 0 no buffer
    0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
    0 packets output, 0 bytes, 0 underruns
    7 carrier transitions
    DCD=up DSR=up DTR=up RTS=up CTS=up

    Mark, Feb 21, 2005

  2. Mark

    voipguy Guest

    Mark,
    Is it possible both sides as set up for secondary?
    What happens if you set the router for sdlc role primary?
    Also I assume if you telnetted to the router, you
    did a "term mon".

    voipguy, Feb 22, 2005

  3. Mark

    thrill5 Guest

    To get the data from the SDLC port on one router to the SDLC port on another
    router, you need to have DLSW configured.

    Scott

    thrill5, Feb 27, 2005
  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Primary, Secondary and combinations of each but no output, Term mon
    was on as was a syslog server next to me (tested)

    DLSW is configured and connected interfaces bound into it ok, tried
    STUN too but no joy.

    Stick the traffic back to the WAN and up it comes so something is
    working ok. The cable genders are correct too as they were purchased
    specifically for this project. I'm wondering if I should revert to
    break out boxes on this one...

    Mark, Mar 1, 2005
  5. Mark

    voipguy Guest

    The show interface output shows that the interface is running as DTE,
    so it
    needs to be plugged into a modem (DCE). You said you are attaching to a
    2216,
    right? Does it look like DCE (i.e. presents DSR)? If not, you need to
    switch the cable to a
    DCE cable.

    The breakout box would help here.

    voipguy

    voipguy, Mar 13, 2005
  6. Mark

    voipguy Guest

    Sorry, I was wrong, the interface is correct. I was looking at the 2216
    display.

    The 2216 IS the secondary device though, right? So the router needs to
    be primary and initiate polling of the 2216.
    I think the problem is you are missing the sdlc dlsw 40 statement..
    You need this on both ends.

    You also might try
    debug cls sdlc
    debug sdlc packets to see whats happening in the router. Another thing
    to try is to try sdlc role prim-xid-poll. I think the router will then
    send null XIDs at least, and you can see if you get any response.
    You are sure the polling address is "40", right?

    Here is a sample configuration from the cisco dlsw page.

    dlsw local
    dlsw bridge-group 1

    interface ethernet0
    bridge-group 1