Unable to reach MSN and Microsoft

Discussion in 'Windows Networking' started by Paul Bergson [MVP-DS], Dec 22, 2009.

  1. Not sure if anything can be done, more of a what is going on question. From
    my residense I am unable to reach multiple large websites, suchas as MSN,
    Microsoft and NetFlix. I do a tracert and the output is below. What has me
    kind of scratching my head is I'm being sent to 10.x.x.x address, I don't
    believe these should ever be visible on the public internet.

    I'm stumped, it appears there is a route issue.
    1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 41 ms 40 ms 40 ms dlth-dsl-gw01-193.dlth.qwest.net
    [65.102.106.193]
    3 42 ms 41 ms 41 ms dlth-agw1.inet.qwest.net [65.102.106.93]
    4 41 ms 40 ms 42 ms dlt-core-01.inet.qwest.net [205.171.165.13]
    5 41 ms 42 ms 45 ms dlt-core-02.inet.qwest.net [205.171.165.10]
    6 45 ms 44 ms 45 ms min-core-01.inet.qwest.net [205.171.5.146]
    7 56 ms 57 ms 55 ms cer-edge-13.inet.qwest.net [67.14.8.206]
    8 55 ms 55 ms 55 ms 65.118.28.46
    9 61 ms 55 ms 55 ms ge-7-3-0-0.chg-64cb-1a.ntwk.msn.net
    [207.46.47.176]
    10 105 ms 101 ms 100 ms ge-3-3-0-0.co2-64c-1b.ntwk.msn.net
    [207.46.43.153]
    11 101 ms 103 ms 103 ms 207.46.46.92
    12 110 ms 100 ms 100 ms ge-7-0-0-0.co1-64c-1b.ntwk.msn.net
    [207.46.43.173]
    13 101 ms 101 ms 100 ms 10.22.8.10

    --
    Paul Bergson
    MVP - Directory Services

    http://www.pbbergs.com

    Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This
    posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    Paul Bergson [MVP-DS], Dec 22, 2009

  2. No, it isn't an AV issue. I have checked into this. How it is being routed
    to a public address inside of Microsoft seems to tell me that it has a
    poisoned route of some kind.

    From the trace route you can see it is outside of my box. I briefly spoke
    with Quest (My DSL provider) and their solution was to shut off my dsl modem
    for an hour. ??? This is like 8 hops away and has nothing to do with my
    side, but I couldn't get him to understand that. He then told me to contact
    the internet assigned numbers board. Since they are listed as the owners of
    this public address. It made me laugh and I knew it was time to move on.
    :)

    Paul Bergson [MVP-DS], Dec 22, 2009

  3. Hi Paul,

    I ran across a guy yesterday with problems of that nature. It was caused by
    conficker or some variant of it. In his case he could not reach MS,
    Symantec, and many other "security" related Sites. It screwed with his DNS
    resolution abilitiy. So,..not saying for sure it is your problem, but you
    should double check one more time for infections just to be sure.

    --
    Phillip Windell

    Phillip Windell, Dec 22, 2009
  4. Turns out both PPoA and PPoE were enabled on my DSL modem and I guess some
    web sites don't like both enabled. I just turned off PPoA and "Bang" I was
    back in business.

    Thanks for all the feedback though, really appreciate it. :)

    Paul Bergson [MVP-DS], Dec 23, 2009