  1. News

    News Guest

    Reset your clock, it's not August yet.

    News, Jul 13, 2004

  2. News

    Jersey Guest

    You ain't gonna believe this but ......

    I have NO idea how my clock got advanced by a MONTH, but resetting it
    somehow fixed the problem described below. <boggle>

    Thank you, News.

    Jersey, Jul 13, 2004

  3. News

    Jersey Guest

    I was able to recreate the problem by setting my computer to any date
    forward of today. Setting it back, however, doesn't seem to have any
    effect.

    Comcast customer's be warned: You MAY not be able to reach www.comcast.net
    if the date on your machine is inadvertantly set to the future. I wasn't.

    In my case, it happened because I was checking the calender the other day to
    see if I was available for a party my sister was throwing on the 17th of
    August.

    Evidently, I hit "apply" before reverting back to July, and that's when my
    troubles began. I didn't even notice my date was wrong until "News" pointed
    it out to me.

    The thing is? I never would have thought that only the Comcast website
    would be a problem.

    Maybe because they use Flash, and constantly update stuff? I dunno.
    Anyway, thanks. ... And all you Comcast customers should put this in your
    "personal" memory.

    Jersey, Jul 13, 2004
  4. News

    Boomer Guest

    What Comcast customers?
    [snip]

    Boomer, Jul 13, 2004
  5. News

    Jersey Guest

    Oh, I dunno. Maybe me and a few others for whom Comcast is the only game in
    town (broadband-wise)?

    Jersey, Jul 13, 2004
  6. News

    Boomer Guest

    I thought you were meaning someone here, at this group.
    I haven't seen too many here.

    Boomer, Jul 13, 2004
  7. News

    Jersey Guest

    Nope. I wasn't directing the "fix" at anyone in particular, and I don't
    make a habit of looking at (complete) headers unless the need arises . I
    know by mostly lurking here that folks are more than willing to help.

    My only intention upon posting the "fix", was that perhaps one of you
    regulars would make a note of it, and maybe offer it up to some other poor
    Comcast soul who damn near took some pretty drastic measures towards his own
    machine. :)

    That's all.

    Jersey, Jul 13, 2004
  8. News

    Boomer Guest

    Got 'cha. Thanks. :)

    [snip]

    Boomer, Jul 13, 2004
  9. Speaking of time, it's /not/ August yet.

    --
    Mr. Trevor Fourie.
    WesBank Limited.

    Mr. Trevor Fourie, Jul 13, 2004
  10. News

    Jersey Guest

    You're welcome.

    IMO? It was the very least I could do.

    I only wish more people who post with problems here, would report back on
    their progress, fixes, or lack thereof.

    This way, we ALL learn!

    I mean? How stupid do I feel right now? I came within one newsgroup reply
    of re-installing my OS/network only because my friggin' CLOCK was wrong! :)

    Seriously. I was THAT close. That's how frustrated I was.

    And to think I always thought those, "you're posting from the future"
    messages were just petty bullshit. How WRONG was I?

    Live and learn.

    Jersey, Jul 13, 2004
  11. News

    Boomer Guest

    I agree.
    Hehehe. It happens! ;) Most think of the worst when things happen.
    Yup! And that's one of the reason's I like this group. The large
    variety of Q & A and all the stuff in between. :)

    Boomer, Jul 13, 2004
  12. News

    Jersey Guest

    The worst part of the (almost) reinstall would have been ....

    I would have entered the correct time and date when prompted by WindowsXP to
    set up my little network again, and everything would have worked fine. And
    being none-the-wiser? I would have blamed Microsoft for the problem I
    inadvertantly created *myself* by advancing my own damn calender without
    realizing it.

    Jersey, Jul 13, 2004
  13. News

    Boomer Guest

    [snip]

    Things like that happen all the time. Luckily you 'time' was really
    on your side. ;)

    Boomer, Jul 13, 2004
  14. News

    Jersey Guest

    Suddenly? I'm in mind of the Rolling Stones.

    Then again? I'm old.

    Jersey, Jul 13, 2004
  15. News

    Boomer Guest

    Time isn't on our side! But it's been a fun trip...

    Boomer, Jul 13, 2004
  16. News

    Jersey Guest

    No complaints here. (So far)

    I think it's a lot like the infamous, "they" say;

    "If you can remember the '60's, you weren't there."

    Luckily? I was a "child of the '70's.

    So I'm impervious to your "trip", no matter how long and/or strange it may
    have been. :)

    Jersey, Jul 13, 2004
  17. News

    Boomer Guest

    ....it was fun... ;o)

    Boomer, Jul 13, 2004
  18. News

    Boomer Guest

    :( I don't see anything... in any _place_.

    <Scratches head>
    Subscribe! Subscribe!
    <broke>

    Boomer, Jul 14, 2004
  19. News

    Bryan Guest

    Pssst!
    something for you in IdleGossip
    :)

    Bryan, Jul 14, 2004
  20. News

    Boomer Guest

    Men! <stomps foot> Fiddle! Fiddle! <sigh>

    Boomer, Jul 14, 2004