    Search and Destroy". Hope someone can help me. Unable to search for
    possible solutions because my search engines need IE6 to run.

    Don

    Don, Nov 29, 2003

  2. Don

    °Mike° Guest

    You probably have something (software or driver) that
    I.E. is choking on. It's going to take some detective work
    on your part to track it down.

    Basic computer maintenance

    Control your startups:
    ----------------------
    StartupList
    http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

    Startup Monitor
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

    Startup Control Panel
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    Check what's necessary and what isn't
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_all.php

    °Mike°, Nov 29, 2003

  3. Don

    Don Guest

    Thanks Mike. Unfortunately I couldn't use any of your links because I
    couldn't open IE. However, when I read the error report more
    carefully, I noticed a reference to Shell32.dll and 7fcb1946.
    Searching from another computer I found a solution at
    http://www.msdcomputer.com/support.htm:

    Edit registry key: Hkey_Current_User/Software/Microsoft/Internet
    Explorer/Main

    Change "Use Custom Search" value to 0 (zero)

    I have no idea why this worked but I'm back in business.

    Don, Nov 30, 2003
  4. Don

    °Mike° Guest

    Obviously the custom search script is what IE was choking
    on. I'm glad you got it sorted.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Nov 30, 2003