    please! I run win 2000.

    Thanks in advance, l tried google but could not find any that relates to
    this problem

    Era, Feb 7, 2005

  2. Era

    Netuser 58 Guest

    Take a look at your hosts file.
    http://accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

    Make sure you have a firewall also. Zone Alarm has a free version.
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

    Netuser 58

    Netuser 58, Feb 10, 2005

  3. Era

    winged Guest

    Yes, there is a virus which does this too, several of them. Usually it
    will either terminate or terminate prematurely. There are several
    spyware packages which just exclude their files from being scanned by
    the AV engine (You can see the event in the system security event logs
    (it will indicate the antivirus tools don't have permission to open
    files although the AV tool is running system Perms. I have seen this in
    a www.coolsearch variant as well as a "better Internet minds" exploit.
    I have seen the latter upload little things like registry contents,
    which is a bit disconcerting.

    W95.MTX has a virus component and a worm component. It propagates by
    email. It also infects some Win32 executables in specific folders. The
    virus has the capability to block access to certain Web sites. This may
    prevent you from downloading new virus definitions.
    Virus aliases: W95.Oisdbo, W95.MTX.dr, W95.MTX (.dll), W32/Apology-B
    [Sophos], I-Worm.MTX [Kaspersky], W95/[email protected] [McAfee], PE_Mtx.A [Trend],
    Win95.Mtx [Computer Associates]

    This is only one of several viruses which are capable of producing the
    effects you describe. Without knowing more about your system
    configuration I can't but guess whether the flaw is spyware or viral nor
    variant you may have.

    To start I might look in running processes, however there are issues as
    you can't be sure of the "system" processes are real or viral substitutes.

    I would rebuild my system as the easiest remedy, only take a few
    minutes, but of course my latest full system backup was yesterday,so
    easy for me to say.

    Got backups? If not I would recover what data I could and SYDSO (Sorry
    You Die Start Over) the system. Otherwise you may not be finitely sure
    that your system is indeed a virgin again. It is often very difficult
    to restore a systems virginity and trust.

    Winged

    winged, Feb 16, 2005