unable to connect to mysql

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by pc, Feb 2, 2006.

  1. pc

    pc Guest

    hi everyone,

    I am trying to connect to a new mysql installation. I have given root
    permission to connect to all databases from anywhere;

    GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'root'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'passwd' WITH
    GRANT OPTION;

    I can log on locally by specifying the host name:

    [[email protected] me]$ mysql -h 127.0.0.1 -u root -p test
    Enter password:
    Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
    Your MySQL connection id is 2 to server version: 5.0.18-standard

    However, when I try to log in locally without specifying the host name
    I receive the following error:

    [[email protected] me]$ mysql -u root -p mysql
    Enter password:
    ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
    '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

    If I try to connect remotely as root using MySQLyog I receive a similar

    error message:

    Access denied for user [email protected][my ip]

    Any assistance would be appreciated.

    cheers,

    eddiec :)

    pc, Feb 2, 2006

  2. pc

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Hey, pretty girl. [From the bum on the corner]
    Is it even possible to connect to a new mysql installation? Maybe you
    should try something else.
    Been there, done that.
    All sorts of things.
    To each according to their capacity.
    Prove it.
    Insufferable imbecile.
    It's handy, in case you didn't know.
    Relax. Sit down. Put your feet up. Maybe go for a walk in the hills.
    There's hope; tomorrow you might be dead.
    You like that stuff, huh?
    Icicles. Popsicles. Spectacles Testi..ng 123
    Fallacy of amphiboly, pc. The premise is ambiguous because of your
    careless or ungrammatical phrasing.
    Suicide will free you from personal pain, anguish, depression, debt and
    fear, pc
    I can't help with your problem but I can suggest you stop spamming.
    It's nice for an old person. It's like a game.
    Fight your own battles.
    If it's itchy, don't scratch it.
    How many times have you tried to log in locally without specifying the
    host name you receive the following error:?
    You should be careful too.
    Make a mental note; oh, you're out of paper.
    If it's itchy, don't scratch it.
    How many times have you tried to connect remotely as root using mysqlyog
    you receive a similar?
    Why do you make so many mistakes?
    For anything?
    Staying out of trouble today?
    Eh? Are you serious?
    You're ashamed because you hate yourself. Don't you think that's ironic?
    Really, pc?
    Right, well. Thanks for sharing, pc.

    Duane Arnold, Feb 3, 2006

  3. pc

    why? Guest

    Oh look error message / code, Google it.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=ERROR+2002+(HY000)
    add more of the message for ,

    Web Results 1 - 10 of about 522 English pages for
    ERROR 2002 (HY000) Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
    .. (0.31 seconds)

    Me

    why?, Feb 3, 2006