    Is there something that I have done to my settings to cause this? Hope that
    someone has the answer.
    Thanks, Nettie

    nettie, Oct 16, 2003

  2. nettie

    °Mike° Guest

    Check the cable connections - remove and reseat
    them. If you still get the same, the drive itself may
    be faulty. They are very cheap to replace.

    °Mike°, Oct 16, 2003

  3. Gosh, do people still USE floppies?

    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Oct 16, 2003
  4. nettie

    SgtMinor Guest

    Try to blow the dust out the drive with a can of compressed air
    (available at any store that sells computers or peripherals).

    SgtMinor, Oct 16, 2003
  5. nettie

    Boomer Guest

    Gosh, yes.

    Wanna buy me a brand new computer?

    Boomer, Oct 16, 2003
  6. nettie

    nettie Guest

    Thanks Mike, the green light does go on. I don't know where the cable
    connections are. But I was wondering if having a CD burner installed could
    cause this as it seemed to start acting this way after I had one installed.
    I hadn't used my floppies for a while and so I thought it was sluggish
    because of non-use. Please pardon my ignorance. Nettie

    nettie, Oct 16, 2003
  7. nettie

    nettie Guest

    Do you mean that I am the only one?
    Nettie

    nettie, Oct 16, 2003
  8. nettie

    Boomer Guest

    Very unlikely!

    Boomer, Oct 16, 2003
  9. nettie

    °Mike° Guest

    It's possible that the person who installed the CD burner
    has loosened the connections to the floppy drive. I would
    get them to check it out - make sure they don't charge you.

    °Mike°, Oct 16, 2003
  10. No, I use zip drives and an external CD RW.

    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Oct 16, 2003
  11. My laptop hasn't actually GOT a floppy drive.

    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Oct 16, 2003
  12. nettie

    Boomer Guest

    Must be nice.

    Boomer, Oct 16, 2003
  13. nettie

    Boomer Guest

    What's a laptop? <g>

    Boomer, Oct 16, 2003
  14. Crashed your abacus recently? ;-)

    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Oct 16, 2003
  15. nettie

    nettie Guest

    I will have them check it out and thanks for the advice.
    Nettie

    nettie, Oct 17, 2003
  16. nettie

    Iceman Guest

    I think mainly for small, single files.

    Iceman, Oct 17, 2003
  17. nettie

    Trent© Guest

    Put a brand new floppy in the drive and see if you can format it.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.

    Trent©, Oct 17, 2003
  18. nettie

    Juan Pérez Guest

    In
    Hello, Nettie,
    I'm not sure I understand where the square on the lower right of a
    floppy disk is located'. Let's make it real simple, ok? One and ONLY
    one little square must be open and the other must be closed in order to
    make a disk functional. Find the one that has a little 'slider', slide
    it down to Close the opening then try it. Good Luck!

    Juan Pérez, Oct 17, 2003
  19. nettie

    Stevo Guest

    Juan Pérez wrote:
    You are talking about the Write Protect tab..open or closed the floppy can
    still be *read*.

    It should be closed if it is to desired to write to or format it (as stated
    on the label).

    The other opening, without the 'slider', indicated the disk is 1.44Mb in
    capacity in most cases, without it it is just 720K.

    Stevo, Oct 17, 2003
  20. nettie

    Juan Pérez Guest

    Please reply to Nettie, the original poster, as she asked the question
    and may be more interested in the topic than I. Thank you very much :eek:)

    Juan Pérez, Oct 17, 2003