    computer store said that I could use the EIDE instead of the Ultra
    ATA. However, now I am curious if there is a trade off of some sort.
    I have not opened the thing yet, and I want to be sure.

    flynfast, Sep 15, 2007

  2. flynfast

    JANA Guest

    The SATA drive is a type of serial interface for its data I/O. These were
    originally designed for hot swappable drives, and for RAID configurations.
    To have hot swappable, and or RAID, the proper hardware is required. As for
    speed, the SATA is better for burst speed.

    If using a one or more SATA or IDE drives in a single user desktop computer
    with a simple conventional set-up and applications, there should be no
    noticeable difference to the user.

    As for myself, I have computers here in our facility that are using both
    types in the same computers. We have a few computers with more than 3
    drives, and the controller ran out of IDE ports, so we put in SATA drives.
    We found no difference between them. Some of our clients have large systems
    with RAID configurations. These are using SATA drives.

    The bottom line is that you will not notice any difference on a simple
    desktop or laptop computer.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    I just purchased a Western Digital EIDE for my DELL Latitude D600
    computer. The current hard drive is an Ultra ATA, and the tech in the

    JANA, Sep 15, 2007

  3. flynfast

    mdp Guest

    The interface form factor is the same, i.e. same connector. It's the speed
    rating you want to know. What is the drive make/model? If it's a new
    drive, I'd be surprised if it's not Ultra ATA of some kind.

    mdp, Sep 15, 2007
  4. flynfast

    Jerry Attic Guest

    Just exactly where did the OP ask anything to do with SATA? He asked about
    whether there was a difference between EIDE and Ultra ATA. Ultra ATA is
    also used with PATA drives.

    Jerry

    Jerry Attic, Sep 15, 2007
  5. flynfast

    flynfast Guest

    The drive is a Western Digital 120 GB EIDE Scorpio. It is a 5400 PRM
    8 MB Cache drive.

    flynfast, Sep 15, 2007
  6. flynfast

    Meat Plow Guest

    EIDE is the device design. ATA is the connection/interface.

    Both the original and new WD drives are EIDE and my guess PATA. There are
    4 modes of Ultra ATA 33/66/100/133 mbps. The Scorpio should be capable of
    Ultra ATA 100

    Meat Plow, Sep 15, 2007
  7. flynfast

    mdp Guest