    moving or a new light etc, has to be tested in the same way. Is this
    correct or am I panicing over nothing?
    Cheers guys

    Caractucus Potts, Apr 21, 2005

  2. Caractucus Potts

    Gordon Guest

    You are correct. It's all down to the litigious society we live in, and
    amateur "electricians" who do things like wiring light switches into the
    neutral feed, and using 1.5mm sq cable for cookers etc etc.

    Gordon, Apr 21, 2005

  3. Caractucus Potts

    °Mike° Guest

  4. Caractucus Potts

    old john Guest

    yes cara, it`s all part of the new order of the `it`s gonna costya state`
    that we live in, we`ll end up having to get a permit (you`ll have to pay for
    it !!!) to buy toilet paper, then pay again to flush the bl**dy toilet. Roll
    on the revolution. best wishes..J

    old john, Apr 21, 2005
  5. Caractucus Potts

    trout Guest

    I still can't get over the idea of you guys paying a licence fee for
    *televisions*. Anywhere else, this *alone* would have blood flowing in
    the streets.

    trout, Apr 21, 2005
  6. Caractucus Potts

    °Mike° Guest

    In <4268017c$0$30916$>,
    trout took 28 lines to utter:

    The TV license is a bit of an anachronism, but at least UK viewers have
    a few channels that we can watch without commercial breaks -- ruining
    our viewing pleasure -- every two minutes; that is SO annoying.

    °Mike°, Apr 21, 2005
  7. Caractucus Potts

    trout Guest

    That's what the remote control is for. Without commercial breaks,
    how would you know what other crap is on the *other* two hundred
    channels of crap?

    trout, Apr 21, 2005
  8. Caractucus Potts

    °Mike° Guest

    That's what TV listings in your daily/weekly/monthly are for, isn't it?

    °Mike°, Apr 21, 2005
  9. Caractucus Potts

    trout Guest

    I have a vague recollection of these things from the distant past.

    trout, Apr 21, 2005
  10. Caractucus Potts

    Rob K Guest

    This barbarous society abolished licence fees for televisions in the
    late nineties of the previous century. The Bread and Circuses act now
    makes it perfectly legal to buy cannabis products in so called "coffee
    shops" and to smoke "joints" or "reefers" in public.

    Growing cannabis however and supplying these "coffee shops" is illegal,
    however. Did I hear you mumbling something about double standards ?

    Due to increasing "European" pressure, our police are now using
    helicopters equipped with IR devices to fight illegal production of
    cannabis. There's a *lot* of money to be made in that business.

    Authorities have issued health warnings: due to increasing efficiency in
    production methods, the THC levels in cannabis are rising.

    Of course a lot of our "Nederwiet" is illegally exported to our European
    neighbors west of us. They need the stuff; television licenses make
    their life horrible. I'll admit though that BBC One and Two are
    wonderful. No commercials ....

    Rob K, Apr 21, 2005
  11. Caractucus Potts

    °Mike° Guest

    In <181qsfs2x0341$>,
    Rob K took 31 lines to utter:

    That (BBC) is the SOLE purpose of the license, though I think the
    fee should be collected more efficiently, like direct taxation. Those
    who cry: "but I don't own a TV", should remember that a license is
    required for owning a TV, VCR, set top box, DVD recorder, PC with
    TV card etc. -- I doubt that there is a single family that doesn't
    come into this category, somewhere.

    °Mike°, Apr 22, 2005
  12. Caractucus Potts

    Rob K Guest

    I agree. Here in the Netherlands, that's exactly the way it's done now.

    The question if a governement acts wisely in allocating a part of tax
    revenues to some sort of "public" television is open for debate.
    Tax-payers may very well argue that such spending is no longer
    necessary.

    That said, IMHO the BBC does a good job: it has the in-depth news
    coverage I'd very much like to see here. Add a bit of Blackadder and hey
    presto ...

    ;)

    Rob K, Apr 22, 2005
  13. Over here we have public television that is actually quite good - during
    the times they're begging for money. If there's a good show on PBS, it
    must be fund-raising time.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 22, 2005
  14. Caractucus Potts

    trout Guest

    Yeah; at least you can tape a regular show, and get the timing down
    pretty well for FFing through the commercials. But during PBS pledge
    drives, you have to tape six hours to watch two old episodes of "Red
    Dwarf".

    trout, Apr 22, 2005