uk. geocities / geocities sites

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Trevor Midgley, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. Anyone having problems opening up uk.geocities and www.geocities.com
    sites over the last few days??

    Trevor Midgley, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Trevor Midgley

    °Mike° Guest

  3. Mike -

    Have you been having any difficulty opening the public side of your
    excellent uk.geocities site?

    Mine have been mega-sluggish for the last few days, to the point that
    they just won't open. My www.geocities.com US sites are almost as bad.
    I can get into the edit suites without problem.

    It's just accessing the public URLs.

    At first I wondered if it was connected to mydoom, but I don't know...

    Any thoughts appreciated

    T.

    Trevor Midgley, Feb 2, 2004
  4. Trevor Midgley

    °Mike° Guest

    Have you tried the tips on my page?
    Also, check your firewall rules are not interfering, and
    if your firewall allows/blocks DNS, clear it's cache.

    °Mike°, Feb 2, 2004
  5. I have checked out the tips on your page and everything seems OK. Like
    I say, it's only the public URLs of the geocities empire that are the
    problem. Everything else is hunky-dory.

    My only firewall is the XP ICF. It's status hasn't changed since I
    bought this computer over 2 years ago.

    I had a friend check out my geocities sites through his box. He
    checked them in both IE and Net7. This is what he came back with "I
    tried both URLs on IE and after 70 seconds the window came showing the
    usual "The page cannot be displayed" etc. When I tried them both on
    Netscape nothing happened at all after 80 or so minutes."

    So, no further forward. I've e-mailed both geocities and my service
    provider to see if they can shed any light.

    Trevor Midgley, Feb 3, 2004
  6. Ha-ha, after five days, my problem's solved!

    I narrowed it down to one conclusion: it must be my ISP (friends going
    through ntl couldn't access geocities, all others could. Strange...)

    So, I phoned them. Seems that they have a duff proxy server looking
    after our area. Their helpdesk gave me alternate settings for (on IE)
    Tools / Internet Options / Connections / LAN Settings, forcing the
    connection through another server. Et voila - instantly OK (actually,
    faster than before).

    Thanks again for all the suggestions. I hope that my experience adds
    to the old
    knowledge base!

    Trevor Midgley, Feb 3, 2004
  7. Trevor Midgley