  1. I really would like to know why council tax is so ridiculous?
    Is there a protest group or organisation I can join because I think paying
    £800pa for a 1 bedroom house is bollocks.

    Radox The Green, Mar 22, 2005

  2. Radox The Green

    why? Guest

    Try something simple like,

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=council+tax+protest+newsgroup&meta=cr=countryUK|countryGB
    or shorter
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?E28321ABA

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=council+tax+protest+legal+uk&meta=cr=countryUK|countryGB
    shorter
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?F29312ABA

    This should do it for you,

    IsItFair.co.uk - Campaigning for the reform of the current Council ...
    .... A campaign to ABOLISH the current system of council tax and replace
    it with ... The UK Council Tax protest will now go forward to the
    European Committee ...
    www.isitfair.co.uk/howtohelpnew.asp - 22k - Cached - Similar pages

    Me

    why?, Mar 22, 2005

  3. Radox The Green

    cluedweasel Guest

    So what would you like to replace it with? No doubt something income
    based. Maybe it should be based on use, so those with half a dozen
    kids can pay the true cost of their education rather than expecting
    those without kids to subsidise it.

    cluedweasel, Mar 22, 2005
  4. All these bureaucrats have to be paid their massive salaries and
    wonderful pensions. Councils have to get their revenue from somewhere
    and unlike private businesses, they don't have to earn it -- they
    merely jack up the Council Tax.

    In my view, a local income tax would be much fairer.
    --

    Alasdair Baxter, Nottingham, UK.Tel +44 115 9705100; Fax +44 115 9423263

    "It's not what you say that matters but how you say it.
    It's not what you do that matters but how you do it"

    Alasdair Baxter, Mar 22, 2005
  5. Radox The Green

    redeagle Guest

    Here in Phoenix, Arizona our property taxes are outrageous also.
    Having lived in England for some time I realize that all taxes there are
    really a burden on some people.
    However - if my house were valued on the same basis as comparable
    residences in England were my taxes would triple here. I do not really
    understand why housing is so expensive there as contrasted to ours for
    many conditions there are very different than ours.
    I suppose the greatest reason for outrageous taxes are, like our situation,
    is the authorities assume those own houses are the ones most likely to
    have the finacial wherewithall to pay the tax.

    redeagle, Mar 22, 2005
  6. There are a few reasons why housing is expensive here but 2 reason stick
    out.
    1: If only more housing was available there would be more housing and prices
    would go down.
    2: STUPID IDIOTS SHOULD STOP PAYING THE PAPER MONEY PRICES THAT ARE CHARGED.
    That does mean everyone, but over here in England we seem to revel in being
    ripped of and we boast about how much something cost us, not how much of a
    bargain we got.

    David Griffin, Mar 23, 2005