    Any help appreciated !

    Drop the ZZZ to reply

    Cheers ...

    Chris_D, Aug 10, 2005

  2. Chris_D

    David Taylor Guest

    I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some guidenlines for
    In what sense? Many airports have hotspots for passengers.

    Lufthansa has a WLAN on the aircraft.

    Can you be more specific with the question?

    David.

    David Taylor, Aug 10, 2005

  3. Chris_D

    RedFox Guest

    I found this while searching for wi-fi info:
    ------------
    Date Feb 26 2004
    Wi-Fi in Europe's airports
    Wireless Quilts (http://www.smartmobs.com/archive/cat_wireless_quilts.html)
    Posted by Jim_Downing at 02:43 PM
    British Telecom(BT) has recently announced that it would provide wireless
    internet access in 80 British Airways lounges around the globe within the
    next few months while last month, T-Mobile began offering Wi-Fi service at
    the Cologne-Bonn Airport. Since December, passengers have been able to log
    on at Budapest's Ferihegy Airport the International Herald Tribune reports.A
    senior analyst at the market research company IDC,Evelien Wiggers is quoted
    as saying "Last year the main airports got it, and now it is going to the
    lesser airports," In a recent report, she estimated that the number of
    public wireless Internet access points, or hot spots, increased from just
    more than 1,000 in Europe at the end of 2002 to 7,000 by last October. Over
    the same period, the number of airport hot spots doubled, from 54 to 118.
    High time for Wi-Fi at airports in Europe
    (http://www.iht.com/articles/131359.html)

    RedFox, Aug 15, 2005
  4. Chris_D

    David Taylor Guest

    I found this while searching for wi-fi info:
    18 months old.

    To use your laptop in an airport lounge you just need a wireless card
    but I think you've picked that up now. :)

    Cisco make good cards although you pay for them. There are other good
    cards out there too.

    David.

    David Taylor, Aug 15, 2005
  5. Chris_D

    Chris_D Guest

    Sorry for the dealy in updating my original request for information on
    this.

    I need to install a wireless bridge link (point - point using yagi's)
    between two buildings but this would mean that the signal would
    directly cross a small airport runway.

    My question is regarding potential inteferance to and/or from the
    airport radio equipment as I obviuosly don't want to cause any crashes
    etc.

    I have contacted the Civil Aviation Authority but have received no
    reply as yet.

    Drop the ZZZ to reply

    Cheers ...

    Chris_D, Aug 16, 2005
  6. Chris_D

    David Taylor Guest

    I need to install a wireless bridge link (point - point using yagi's)
    Unlikely you'd have any effect on anything flying or on the ground.
    Contrary to popular film myth, aircraft don't fall out of the sky due to
    the odd radio transmission. You're far more likely to have an air
    accident due to pilots stamping on each others radio transmissions and
    thus an imporant "avoid the following mid air collision that's about to
    happen chaps!" message getting through. Most light aircraft have few
    electronic systems and virtually none that control the aircraft. Larger
    aircraft have more electronics but better protected.

    How many aircraft do you think fly on a daily basis where people forget
    to turn off their wireless PDA or mobile phone?
    Don't hold your breath on dealing with the CAA either.

    David.

    David Taylor, Aug 16, 2005
  7. Chris_D

    Colum Mylod Guest

    Agreed. The powers at 2.4GHz are far lower than anything like the
    airport's own radar, assuming legal operation and no burners bolted
    onto the output. Passengers' mobiles would be far closer and even
    these are just a scare story.

    Colum Mylod, Aug 16, 2005
  8. The local general aviation airport:
    http://www.watsonvilleairport.com
    has a fairly extensive 2.4Ghz wireless private LAN that some pilots
    use in their hangars. There are also at least 5 point to point links
    that I know about going to nearby businesses. I don't know how many
    client radios are deployed but I would get well over 100. The
    protocol is to inform the airport managers office that you have a
    radio system and supply your contact information. It's considered bad
    form to leave the WLAN running when there's nobody in the hangar so
    most users turn off their radios when absent. I've been marginally
    involved in trying to locate some interference sources in the past.
    So far, none of the 2.4GHz equipment has been found to cause a
    problem. No clue how it's done in UK.

    Jeff Liebermann, Aug 16, 2005
  9. Chris_D

    David Taylor Guest

    problem. No clue how it's done in UK.

    It's no different Jeff, it's still an unlicensed band and the CAA have
    no real authority over it. All the CAA are concerned with is protecting
    the frequencies for the navaids and VHF/UHF radios for communications.

    David.

    David Taylor, Aug 16, 2005