    However, ugly noise, usually big, blotchy and replete with jpeg image
    flaws occurs when some cameras are used at high ISO.
    -Rich

    Rich, Oct 4, 2005

  2. Rich

    Sheldon Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Well maybe not good. The sample shots on dpreview.com for the new
    > Olympus E-500 are characterized (800 ISO and up) by what I'd term,
    > "good" noise. It's not the big, blotchy noise "particles" you see in
    > some cameras, but noise more like high speed colour negative film
    > grain. It's also easier to eliminate using noise programs like
    > "Neat Image." I was able to get rid of the noise in the 1600 ISO
    > shot of the gold jar and not destroy the fine detail in the image.
    > However, ugly noise, usually big, blotchy and replete with jpeg image
    > flaws occurs when some cameras are used at high ISO.
    > -Rich

    I'm with you. When noise resembles grain it really doesn't bother me.

    Sheldon, Oct 5, 2005

  3. Rich

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > Well maybe not good. The sample shots on dpreview.com for the new
    > Olympus E-500 are characterized (800 ISO and up) by what I'd term,
    > "good" noise. It's not the big, blotchy noise "particles" you see in
    > some cameras, but noise more like high speed colour negative film
    > grain. It's also easier to eliminate using noise programs like
    > "Neat Image." I was able to get rid of the noise in the 1600 ISO
    > shot of the gold jar and not destroy the fine detail in the image.
    > However, ugly noise, usually big, blotchy and replete with jpeg image
    > flaws occurs when some cameras are used at high ISO.
    > -Rich

    Yes, large splotchy noise is worse, but noise is noise, and given a
    choice, I would certainly rather not have EITHER.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Oct 5, 2005
  4. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 04:17:29 -0500, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    >Rich wrote:
    >> Well maybe not good. The sample shots on dpreview.com for the new
    >> Olympus E-500 are characterized (800 ISO and up) by what I'd term,
    >> "good" noise. It's not the big, blotchy noise "particles" you see in
    >> some cameras, but noise more like high speed colour negative film
    >> grain. It's also easier to eliminate using noise programs like
    >> "Neat Image." I was able to get rid of the noise in the 1600 ISO
    >> shot of the gold jar and not destroy the fine detail in the image.
    >> However, ugly noise, usually big, blotchy and replete with jpeg image
    >> flaws occurs when some cameras are used at high ISO.
    >> -Rich

    >Yes, large splotchy noise is worse, but noise is noise, and given a
    >choice, I would certainly rather not have EITHER.

    Hey, I wish the 20D had spot metering, then I could buy one.
    We don't always get what we want.
    -Rich

    Rich, Oct 6, 2005