UEFI - a game of musical chairs: a cautionary tale.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter Huebner, Dec 13, 2013.

  1. I thought all I was going to do was to pull the intel stock cooler off
    my cpu, put in the new cooler (stock cooler was starting to scream like
    a banshee at times) and Bob's the proverbial.

    Not so. I ended up pulling the motherboard out of the box because not
    only could nobody get their hand into the gap between the new cooler
    (Scythe Kabuto 2) and the top of the case, but as it turned out the
    mounting pins, same principle as the stock cooler ones, were so hard to
    turn that I had to push with one hand, and turn them with a pair of
    pliers with the other hand while my wife held the mobo !!! I'm no
    weakling, either ...

    Well, finally it all went back in the box - only: "cannot find boot
    manager, press ctrl-alt-del and try again". Ye gods. I had the correct
    drive first in the boot queue (and tried all the others to be sure) but
    no cigar. {facepalm}

    So, if you have a UEFI configured boot drive, it needs to be in the
    EXACT right sata port on the motherboard, same as the (non-boot) OS
    drive, or else! Um, that kind of hit me coming out of left field,
    hadn't encountered that before. So I spent a couple of hours this
    afternoon, playing swaparoo with my sata cables, having to pull my video
    card for each iteration because it's one of those 29.5 cm monsters.

    Next time I WILL stick a little note to each cable telling which mobo
    sata-port it came out of!

    Keep that in mind before you yank half a dozen sata cables off the
    mainboard willy nilly. {eye-roll} I had even thought about doing that as
    we were dismantling the system, and let it pass.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Dec 13, 2013

  2. Peter Huebner

    Enkidu Guest

    Heh! Did exactly the same thing the other day, minus the UEFI
    complication. I usually draw a map of the cabling as I remove each
    cable, but I still had to check the correctness as I accidentally
    plugged one of the front panel cables "out by one" and ran out of pins
    on the connector.

    The cooler/fan I got had a plate that had to go under the MB so I had to
    remove the MB too. Fortunately I don't have the latest hardware. :cool:

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Dec 15, 2013

  3. Peter Huebner

    Enkidu Guest

    Oh, yeah when I stuck it all back together the case fan decided to start
    screaming. I forgot to mention that the reason for the replacement was
    that one of the 'legs' of the cooler/fan had broken off. No overheating
    issues fortunately but I decided to replace the assembly just in case.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Dec 15, 2013