"UBS " connection progress report

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -=rjh=-, Oct 21, 2004.

  1. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Since asking in this ng a few days ago, I have a sample of 15 Orcon users:

    8 were existing, and 7 were new Orcon users.

    1!!! has been switched over to the new "UBS" service. Hope Alan's
    enjoying it :) Has anybody else been switched over yet?

    A very small number of the balance have received advice that they will
    be switched over, the remainder have heard nothing, and are unlikely to
    be switched over this month.

    All IIRC, AFAIK, YMMV etc.

    Orcon were actively promoting themselves on the basis that their service
    would be available in October, and (no matter whose fault) they appear
    to have totally failed to switch even a reasonable fraction of their
    customers over.

    It is easy to point to Telecom and say this is all their fault (and it
    almost certainly is) but that achieves nothing, as my contract is with
    Orcon; Telecom are totally unable to be held to account over this.

    -=rjh=-, Oct 21, 2004

  2. -=rjh=-

    Hmmm Guest

    Im with Orcon also and I hadn't heard anything from orcon.
    I sent an email to them last night and got a reply to the email about 30
    minutes later, this was at 10pm so thats pretty outstanding turnaround.

    Anyway they just confirmed that im in the list, the emails orcon send to
    people are when telecom gives them an estimate of when that person is
    going to be upgraded, so if orcon havent emailed you then obviously
    telecom havent even got to you yet. its easy to get angry at orcon but
    what do you expect them to do? they cant magically kick telecoms ass and
    make telecom switch you over as much as i am sure they want to. Look
    how many times telecom have delayed ubs and changed ubs as they have
    gone along...

    Its just like how orcon advertised that there would be no limits and
    static ip's and then telecom saw that and decided to change the rules
    and added caps etc as least orcon stuck with that and didnt add caps
    like all the other isp's.

    anyway my point is, that you should direct your anger at telecom cause
    they are the ones taking their merry time, and have delayed ubs multiple
    times, the last delay was that they were meant to start moving on the
    1st of october but then changed to the 10th of october.

    You should also complain to mr swain and the commissioner :)

    Apparently telecom only have a few "qualified people" that can switch
    people over... (telecom's resources are all tied up with the new retail
    plans)

    Hmmm, Oct 21, 2004

  3. -=rjh=-

    EMB Guest

    FFS - I'm not sure how qualified you need to be - the cretin I know who
    does ADSL setups for telescum has trouble spelling his own name and
    tying his shoelaces. It's probably more a problem of how long it takes
    them to read the circuit number off the works order.

    EMB, Oct 21, 2004
  4. -=rjh=-

    DoggNZ Guest

    <snip>

    I'm a new Orcon customer and have not been switched over yet.

    DoggNZ, Oct 21, 2004

  5. I'm an old orcon dialup customer and signed up for bitstream on the 1st
    of October. Still waiting :\

    Rob

    Robert Bradshaw, Oct 23, 2004
  6. -=rjh=-

    samg Guest

    ahhh crap. I signed up for bitstream early last week and was hoping that
    telecom would enable jetstream on my line next week (orcon quoted 10 working
    days). Until I read ^^^^^^^

    samg, Oct 23, 2004
  7. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Well, let us know if they do...

    ....ROTFL.

    I think I'm aware of 19 or so people (not all from this ng) who have
    signed up with the new Orcon plan, and still only one has been changed over.

    -=rjh=-, Oct 23, 2004
  8. -=rjh=-

    Hmmm Guest

    Well considering we are near the end of october, its obvious that some
    of us arent going to be changed over until well into november...It's not
    a priority for Telecom unfortunately especially as they are releasing
    their competing retail packages at the same time ( what timing..).
    I _still_ haven;t got an email from orcon advising when my cutover date
    will be, which means telecom haven't even got to my yet in their list
    and I've heard of people that cut emails from orcon that applied on the
    1st and they are being cutover on the 29th etc of this month, so little
    chance now if you havent heard of them that you are going be done any
    time soon. telecom truely suck, the same layer 3 service that we have no
    w and they are this slow at changing us over... makes you wonder how
    long it will take when/if they ever get around to providing the true
    layer 2 ubs service they were supposed to be giving us a while ago.

    Hmmm, Oct 23, 2004
  9. -=rjh=-

    Robert Guest

    I tried to sign up - tt was OK with orcon.
    Telecom line check was initially OK - I live less than 3Km from a major
    auckland shopping centre & it is a new area soi all new m odern cabling.
    But then Telecom come back & say NO - guess they wanted me to sign with
    Xtra.

    Robert, Oct 23, 2004
  10. -=rjh=-

    samg Guest

    How long did it take telecom to get back to you?

    samg, Oct 24, 2004