    There's a default display if no connection is made to the PC, a diagnostic
    display.

    This appears for less than 2 seconds and then vanishes.

    Nonesuch, Jan 17, 2013

  2. Nonesuch

    VanguardLH Guest

    Note: To continue a discussion, hit Reply in your newsreader, not New.
    Also, do not change the Subject header as some newsreaders use it to
    thread together the posts in a thread instead of the References header.

    I will continue the discussion in your older thread.

    VanguardLH, Jan 18, 2013

  3. Nonesuch

    Paul Guest

    OK, I'm not sure I'm understanding you well enough, but
    we can break it down...

    1) Light on for two seconds, then off, means a
    CCFL backlight and/or inverter problem. As far as I
    know, the multiple inverter channels on your monitor,
    are on the "Power Board". The Power Board is the one
    with the AC connector soldered right to it.

    2) The "Input Board", the thing with VGA or DVI connectors,
    notes whether any signals are on one of the connectors,
    makes the monitor "look" at that connector, processes
    the high speed serial data to make a "framed" image for
    the panel. If the "Input Board" had a problem, and
    falsely detected a lack of input, you might get the
    OSD (On-Screen-Display menu) pop up, announcing the fact.

    Some monitors, put an advertising splash screen up, before
    they even look at the inputs. And in the two seconds your
    backlight and inverter will currently run, that might be
    all you can see on the screen.

    Yes, it's true, that during the two seconds, there might
    be additional diagnostic information evident from the
    screen contents. But a lot of monitors, aren't really
    ready to tell you anything in the first few seconds.
    Either what you're seeing on the screen, is a
    "cry for help", or, it's the normal screen
    presentation. (For example, on my Acer, if the backlight
    was doing the two second thing, I'd see the word "Acer",
    which is their ugly advertising splash screen. The monitor
    would likely never ever display anything other than
    "Acer" in the first two seconds, so the chances of me
    catching a couple seconds of OSD warning message, are
    quite limited.)

    *******

    You can sometimes, temporarily, avoid the "two second thing",
    by turning down the screen intensity. But on some monitors,
    it's too hard to see what you're doing, to do that. The
    days of having a simple knob you can turn are gone, and
    the "button + OSD" interface doesn't lend itself to
    making setting changes when the monitor is sick.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 18, 2013